Chapter 8

Damien

A loud obnoxious car horn woke me up with a start. I opened my eyes and immediately closed them again. The room was flooded with sunlight which hurt my eyes like a bitch. The intensity of the sunshine was enough to let me know that I had overslept.

The clock on the bedside table was evidence to that. It read 11:13 in bold red letters. I mustered all my will power and got off the bed. The place beside me was empty and the bed unmade. It immediately made me regret not waking up to see Tris off.
It was rare that I overslept. Being a doctor had accustomed me to short stretches of sleep. I guess last night I was way too comfortable to wake up.

Tristans night clothes were scattered all over the floor and I chuckled while picking them up. It was so like him. He had never been a very organised person. When I went down to the kitchen, there was a box of pancakes waiting for me on the shelf with breakfast written on them.

It warmed my heart and I couldn't help the silly smile on my face as I ate them. They were simple ones made from a readymade mix but they tasted better than anything I had ever eaten.

I knew that he wouldn't have made lunch for himself and would probably order a yogurt from his office cafeteria. With that thought in mind, I started on making a healthy yet delicious lunch for him.

Working as a doctor had its pros and cons. The pro was the free medical treatment for you and your family and the respect. The huge con was the backbreaking work. Since I had reached the hospital late, I barely got the chance to breath. There were patients after patients and not to mention the paperwork involving each of them.

"You look like dead meat man," a lazy drawl sounded beside my ears. I didn't have to look to know who it was. There was only one person who could stuff that much scorn and mockery into one sentence.

"Go away Thorn. I am not in the mood," I said while making a shoo gesture with my hands. He did exactly the opposite and moved in even closer to me.

"Oh no. I am not going anywhere until you tell me why you were hours late today."

I glared at him. His smirk widened. Thorn wasn't exactly my enemy but he wasn't a friend either. We were in the same college for our masters and there had always been an unspoken competition between us. He was a good doctor and despised me because he thought I was one too. The despise slowly changed to healthy competition but we never became  friends in the true sense of the word.

It didn't help when we both got into the same hospital. He was a trauma surgeon and a very respected one. He  also kind of  supervised the other surgeons. His question was justified. It was his duty to find out why I had been late.

"I overslept," I replied. His eyes narrowed. "Overslept? Why? As far as I remember, you went out quite early yesterday."

Oh damn him, I thought. I racked my brain for a good excuse. I had no intention of telling him the truth that I was buried deep in a tight warm ass.

"I went to see a friend," I went with the safest option. "Met after a long time so long conversation."

"What friend," he shot back. "I know all your friends."

I gave him the nastiest glare I could manage. "No you don't. You have only known me since masters. This was a school friend."

"You said you hated everyone except Tristan."

And that was it. I slammed my hand down against the desk with enough force to knock over the coffee cup beside me. It toppled over and spilled it's sugary content all over the nurses table.