Chapter 7

The next morning I woke up surrounded by warmth and a pair of strong arms. I had woken up in this position quite a number of times and so instead of freaking out, I snuggled into him further.

Damien Rogers was the best side pillow anyone could have. His body was a hard symphony of impenetrable muscles and yet there was an inexplicable softness to it. He symbolised safety and above all home.

After ten minutes of basking in the comfort I reluctantly decided that it was time to get up. We both had jobs and it wasn't a Sunday. Damien was fast asleep, his usually well arranged blond hair scattered all over the pillow and his chiseled face peaceful. I gently slid out of his hold and replaced myself with a pillow. It was time for him to wake up yet considering last night was undoubtedly stressful for him.

The thought immediately made me sour. I cursed my brain for bringing it up this early in the morning. I went into the attached washroom and fiercely scrubbed at my face. By the time I was done, my cheeks were red and burning.

After I was done with my business, I came out and took out my work clothes. I very deliberately made a lot of sound out of spite but he just slept right through it.

Going to work every morning was something I dreaded and loved at the same time. I loved the independence it gave me but dreaded the part about getting dressed that early in the morning. And on top of that, since Damien was fast asleep, I would have to make breakfast for both of us.

I settled on simple pancakes and put his in a box on the shelf. He was the one who usually made my lunch too but I certainly was not going to do that. I would just eat in the office cafeteria.

I put on my clothes and made sure my unruly hair was in place. I hated my half curly half wavy hair. In its natural state it made me look like a fifteen year old and I had to spend a fortune on hair gel. Damien had advised me to just leave it as it was but I refused to go through the day with a mop of rebellious curls on my head.

I combed them once more and patted them to make them settle down further. They didn't look half as bad with gel in them. When I was dressed, I grabbed my keys and rushed out the door. Somehow, though I woke up at the right time, I was late again.

I almost ran a freaking a marathon to the elevator which thankfully was on my floor. The walk to my office wasn't really pleasant in the morning. The sidewalk was crowded with people rushing to their jobs and I got pushed and shoved every five minutes.

I huffed in annoyance as yet another clumsy man stepped on my shoes. It was albeit a mistake on his part but that didn't make me feel any better. I stepped back on my shoes with double the force and he yelped, turning around to look at me with incredulity.

He was a tall man, even taller than me with auburn hair and forest green eyes. I would have found him handsome if he hadn't just left huge footprints on my loafers.

"What do you think you are doing Mister," he asked in a firm sharp voice. "Can't you see where you are stepping?"

I raised an eyebrow at him and pointed towards my own shoes. He looked down.

"That was obviously a mistake on my part. Your action was quite clearly deliberate."

I scowled. "Well it was a mistake on my part too. So sorry. Goodbye."

I prepared to walk away but a strong grip on my shoulder stopped me. I winced at how tightly the hand was gripping me. I turned to face the man with rage all over my face.

"How dare you touch me you swine," I shouted, making others look at us. His eyes hardened and his grip tightened even further. I tried not to let the pain show on my face.

"Watch your tone boy. You are a foul mouthed brat who needs to be taught a lesson. If we weren't in public right now, I would spank you so hard that you wouldn't be able to sit for a week."

The words were spoken in a voice so low that even I had difficulty hearing them. They sent a shiver down my spine. I wasn't quite sure whether the shiver was of fear or perhaps intrigue?

He let go of my shoulder and abruptly turned and walked away, leaving me to gawk at his retreating form. Had he just threatened to spank me? Why would he even say that!

As I renewed my journey, his words played over and over again in my brain. They brought back memories of the club and of Damien looking down at the boy beside him.

Was that man also a Dom? The thought made me uncomfortable. He had to be. A person with more conventional tastes would have just punched me or shoved me. Definitely not threatened to spank me.

I barely registered going up the familiar steps reaching the lobby of my office and punching my card in. The dark look in the man's eyes was haunting me. There was danger and authority in the look but above all there was a sinister promise.

I opened the door to my cubicle to see Marly sitting on the chair opposite mine and looking through some files. She looked up at the sound of my feet and smiled brightly.

"There you are boss. I was wondering whether you would show up today."

I placed my bag beside the chair and pulled up the blinds, letting sunshine flood the cubicle. "Why wouldn't I? I am saving up my holidays for Christmas."

"No it's just that you looked like you were going to die last night. Your face was so pale and you just ran out on me like that. I ran after you for some time but you didn't even bother to turn around," she ranted. Her eyes were full of accusation and I felt the guilt in me well up.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of her being worried. I had been so lost in my own thoughts that I had not bothered to pay attention to anything else.

"I am sorry Marls. But I had a good excuse. You would have done the same thing if you had suddenly found out that your best friend is actually a Dom who has been lying to you all these years."

The accusation disappeared from her eyes to be replaced with amusement and curiosity. She leant forward in her chair and looked at me with interest

"So did you confront him?"

I shook my head. She frowned. "Why not? Aren't you curious to know why he has been hiding this for such a long time?"

I glared at her. "Of course I am. But more than curious I am fucking mad. I was more upset yesterday than I have ever been in my whole life. I don't just want to ask him, I want to strangle the answers out of him."

I was breathless by the time I finished, my hands gripping the table tightly. Marly's eyes had reached the size of saucers by now. If I hadn't been this furious, I would have laughed.

"My god boy. I think this is the first time I have seen you this mad."

I didn't reply and instead chose to focus on switching my laptop on. Marly wouldn't get it. Nobody would. She didn't know that we were much closer than normal best friends. Damien was my person for gods sake.

Marly was silent for some time, seemingly deep in thought. Finally she spoke. "I get that you are mad. But don't you think that you should give him the benefit of doubt? I mean there could be a perfectly logical reason why he didn't tell you. "

"And what might that be?"

"Ummm....," she stopped to think about a reason. There wasn't one. At least not one that didn't involve him thinking me to be judgemental or narrow minded. She threw up her hands after a while in defeat. "Okay okay I can't think of anything. But I still believe that instead of being so furious, you should talk it out. He had to have done whatever he did with a reason."

She closed her file and prepared to go back to her own space. At the door, she turned back and asked me to take her advice and waved. I waved back and went back to my work, obstinately blocking out any other thought that didn't involve designs and slides.

Somehow my simple routine life had become a mess in just a few days.