The silence stretched on and on, never ending.

Until it ended.

With a snort.

"Next time you want to verify something," Leo said in a cold, calculating tone, "it would be wise of you to ask the people around you for permission before doing something as personal and dangerous as reaching into someone's eye sockets and touching their soul."

"Ah... apologies," Chi said, sounding completely cowed by that. "It did not occur to me to ask. I am not used to being around others. The last time I was surrounded by this many beings who could talk was over seven millennia ago. To be frank I was surprised when I was contacted by your... Alpha. He offered me a great sum to make sure young Louise survives." 

"Then focus on that rather than our newest pack mate," Richard growled, and I heard a shuffle; the hand pinching my neck and shoulders moved as a rustle dusted my scalp. A hand patted my cheek, gentle but firm. "Oi, kid... open your eyes. Come on."

"How'd you know I was conscious...?" I said in a gummy tone, muddled and finding it hard to even move my tongue.

"Your breathing, the changes in your smell, and the sound of your pulse," Richard grunted, sliding his hand beneath my head to grip my shoulders. "Up."

I lolled as I was gently turned over on my back and forcibly moved into a sitting position by his strong hands.

My head flopped forward and I sniffed, nose running a little from the cold.

My skin prickled and hurt but Richard was suddenly behind me, rough hands sliding beneath my shirt and scalding me, making me wince and squeeze my features. He kneaded my flesh without mercy, pinching, rubbing, massaging, stretching his grip higher, and higher, spreading heat through me and making me want to fall back asleep for real. 

It felt so nice that I actually moaned.

His hands froze.

"Am I hurting you?'

"No," I said sleepily, head lolling as I tried to keep conscious. "Is this a massage? I've never had one before, but what you're doing feels like what I imagine them to be like... its nice."

Kyle, not too far away, let out a laugh and several other chuckles followed.

"Yup, he's fine," Louise deadpanned. "I'll be in the kitchen."

"You shouldn't have gotten up in the first place," Leo muttered. "You're suffering from a dizzy spell. You should be resting, not prancing around and--"

"Oh, will you shut up?" she crabbed. "I'm fine!"

"If by fine you mean swooning, I guess you're correct," the man snapped back; their bickering continued as they presumably walked away. Another hand, after a moment, touched my belly and moved up my shirt to my chest. I twitched, furrowing my brows as my pectorals were pressed down upon, and then I felt knuckles gently working my muscles in circular motions.

I let my eyes flutter open and saw Woody's face knit tight with concern; his hands were the ones working warmth back into my skin. Luminescent green eyes caught the dim light like a mirror as they flitted up to meet my half-open stare, sheltered by a fringe of ginger lashes.

He smiled a smile of relief and went back to what he was doing.

The combined movement rocked me back and forth, but I still took the opportunity to look at my surroundings. Tiffany, for the first time in what felt like an eternity, had come up from where she, Diana, and Cassidy had been taking care of Sebastian. She was sitting at my side with Horst, who was looking at me with a tight face, obviously trying to hide how worried he was.