The Werewolf in the Basement ~ 13

Chapter 13

Rain's P.O.V

Relief washed through me as the alpha left.

I don't like the thought of Annabelle being unprotected even if this is home now. I can't just leave her alone and, because without her I mess up my words and I'm only brave when she's around.

I pretend to be brave to protect her. I hated seeing her so hurt and afraid and if anyone tries to touch her I'll make them pay.

She doesn't deserve to be hurt.

She's happy now, I can see that.

Annabelle is so perfect. I remember our first kiss, I didn't know what I was doing but she let me do it. Our mouths melting together and how our bodies warmed up so utterly like gratefully putting on a coat in the middle of winter.

The kiss happened after she told me she trusted me and being her, she explained it to me.

I can't believe how many beautifully perfect moments I've had with this one little fragile girl.

I thought all this while getting into bed with the girl who's saved me so many times.

We fell to sleep quickly with her back pressed to my chest and one of my hands intertwined with hers.

**Morning**

I woke up to Annabelle nudging me. She usually woke up early because she had lived with so little sleep.

I got up, leaning on my arms as I took her in like I've done so many mornings, her hair falling around her shoulders, a little dishevelled and eyes watery with traces of sleep in them.

"Come on. We have to get ready." Annabelle said softly.

"Ok. I'll pack the bags while you get ready." I said wondering if she'd catch what I was doing. She did.

"I'm packing my bag. You don't have to do stuff for me all the time." She says with the usual glint of gratitude and some scolding squinting.

"Fine." I say giving up. This time.

Annabelle has been so used to being so busy all the time and looking after everyone around her. I know she's not used doing nothing and when she doesn't do something she thinks she'll get in trouble or feels useless.

Annabelle's so considerate.