SIXTEEN

Veronica, me and the rest of the Gallagher's made our way to Shelia's. Soon as we entered the house, you could already hear Frank and Monica at each other's throats, just like they used too. Shelia noticed us and tried to get the arguments to stop.

"Roberta!" Shelia says, but a lady's voice cut her off.

"Bob. Only Moni calls me Roberta."

"Alright, Bob, we're just in the way here and we should make our exit and leave Monica for her apologies." Shelia says, and Monica scoffs.

"Apologies? For walking out on this piece of shit?" Monica says, and Shelia shakes her head.

"No, for walking out on them." Shelia says, and we walked in further. I stood with Lip, holding his hand and arm tightly, in case I had to hold him back and also to comfort him. Monica turned to us, and her face dropped as she saw us.

"Oh my god." She says, and Veronica comes around the corner.

"It's alright, I'm not one of yours. Just came to rubberneck." Veronica says, I give her a look and she shrugged her shoulders.

I looked up and I saw Lip had tears in his eyes, as his mother broke down as if she cared about them, when he knew she didn't. Shelia invited us in and told us to sit down with Monica. She was smiling and looking at us all as we stared at her.

"You're all so big. I missed you so much." She says, and I pursed my lips.

"Well, why didn't you take us with you?" Debs asked, and Monica looks at her.

"Because I knew you'd be fine with Fiona." She says, I scoffed holding Debs and Carl close to me.

===

Few moments later of us getting comfortable, or whatever, I watched as Frank and Monica argued about one thing, the only thing they always fight about, no matter what.

Money.

"Oh, I can't believe you sucked me back in here for money!" Monica says, and Frank shakes his head walking away from her.

"I did no such thing." He says, sighing, "But since you're back in town, why don't you sign up for this little thing, and I will cut you in-,"

"Oh, fuck you, Frank!" Monica yells at him, and Lip walks forward.

"Wait, you brought her back here?" Lip says, and Frank sighs, looking down. Monica turns and she spots Ian and smiles.

"Oh, Ian."

"Wait, you knew where she was the whole time?" Lip says, angry and looks at his mother. Roberta or Bob walked forward.

"Okay, look, this little reunion was bound to happen sooner or later anyway. We were thinking about coming around to talk to you about something else." She says, and Monica rushes to her feet and shakes her head.

"No, no."

"Yes, now. Moni and I want to take Liam to live with us." Bob says, and we all stand up glaring at her.

"What?!?

"Over my dead body." Frank says, glaring at her.

"How about Moni signs whatever the hell it is you need and we get Liam." Bob says, and Frank nods.

"Done." He says, and I scoff walking up to her.

"You're out of your fucking mind! You're not taking Liam." I said, and she glares at me.

"Hey bitch, you ain't even family. You have no say."

"Shut the fuck up you carpet muncher! I'm more family than you are, you stupid piece of shit. You're not touching that boy." I said, and she raises an eyebrow.

"What you going to do about it?" She says, and I smiled.

"Try me bitch." I said, I go to jump her but I feel someone's arms around my waist, pulling me back. I tried to pull away but Lip holds me back.

"You can't have Liam." Fiona says, stepping up and Monica turns to her.

"Why the hell not? He's not even Franks."

"Fact is, Liam is black. All of you white folk, except miss thing over here, ya'll scooping black babies like fashion accessories. You have a rude awakening coming. There will be backlash if people don't stop underestimating the cultural importance of a black parent raising a black baby."

"Shove those facts up your fucking pussy and try and reach for a dick you asswipe." I spat out and she glares at me.

"Liam needs me, and he's coming with us." Bob says, and Lip glares at her.

"Out of the fucking question, Roberta." Lip says, and I was holding Liam right now. Monica looks at him, who was holding onto me.

"Roberta and I want to start a family of our own."

"Well how about you finish this one first." Fiona says, scoffing.

"They're taking Liam?" Debs says, sobbing. A mixture of yes and no's were going around before Lip speaks up.

"No, nobody's taking anyone anywhere." Lip says, and Fiona walks closer to Monica as tears rested in her eyes.

"You don't get to abandon your kids, and then show up one day to take your pick of the litter."

"Oh, now that's not fair. Your mother's made mistakes, but she's here now, that's got to count for something." Frank says, and Fiona snaps her head at him.

"Shut up, Frank! This isn't about you." She says, then she glares at Monica, "This is about you, this is about what you didn't do. It's about what I did. And you know what? I did a fucking great job." She says, and turns to Debbie, pointing at her.

"Debs is class president, she's on the debate team, going to nationals." She says, and points to Lip.

"And Lip, he's top of his class. He set the curve." She says, and smiles at Ian, "Ian was promoted in ROTC and he tested out for English." Fiona finishes, and she laughed pointing to Carl.

"And Carl, made something blow up for Science Fair." Fiona says, and soon her eyes landed on me, "And Angelica. The one who you took in after her parents left her, you made her feel like she was apart of this family! She makes twice the money her shitty father sends and she's going to college." Fiona says, and that brings tears to my eyes.

"And you know what they all did it. No thanks to you! Because you weren't here!" Fiona says, glaring at her, Monica gulps.

"And I appreciate that, Fiona, but I'm here now. And Liam belongs with me." Monica says, and Fiona laughs in her face, making Monica back up.

"He doesn't know who you are."

"I'm his mother!"

"You were my mother, too!" Fiona yells back, emotional. Monica sighs, and brushed tears away from her face.

"I don't-I don't know! Maybe I'll never make things right with you, but there's still time with Liam, and Debbie and Carl. I am so sorry I hurt you." Monica says, before sitting in front of the youngest, "See, I love you so much. Please, let me be your mummy again."

The two nodded and brought their mother in for a hug. It broke me to see this, I understood, they were just children, and all they wanted was their mother. This whole thing was bringing up so many memories. Fiona scoffed, grabbing her coat off the sofa and looked at us.

"You know what? You're right, you are their mother, and you're here now." Fiona says, as she puts on her coat, "So, I'm done. I'm done with school, with the bills and the clinics. I'm done. They're all yours now, Mum. Good luck."

She walks out the door, not even sparing a single glance back at the rest of us. I swear I could hear my heart break.