35. One Terrible Accident

WARNING: This chapter contains sensitive topics such as violence, death, and brief mentions/allusions of rape and suicide. Please read at your own discretion. None of these themes are intended to be glorified.

 None of these themes are intended to be glorified

⊰ T H I R T Y  F I V E ⊱

ONE TERRIBLE ACCIDENT

I glanced over at Yoongi, wondering what his greatest desire must be. For some reason, I felt nervous to find out, especially since things had become so tense between us. So much of his past had remained hidden and unspoken, maybe even more so than the rest of the crew.

He wasn't simple enough to seek treasure alone, unless it was something valuable beyond words. Perhaps he wanted revenge on the pirates that killed Dawon. Or maybe he had to pay a visit to an old friend.

All I knew about Yoongi's history was that he'd joined a pirate crew as a young boy, around the age of thirteen. He told me how he'd fallen in love with the sea and learned all he could from the captain, becoming a young protégé of his. When he was eighteen, their crew defeated an entire ship of pirates and the captain allowed Yoongi to take the ship for his own, along with the help of Jin and Namjoon, whom he met soon after. They went out to recruit the others along the way, building up their family and forming unbreakable bonds through their explorations and missions over the next five years. Yoongi was twenty-three when he saved me and took me in, which made him twenty-seven at present.

Nine years as a captain of his own ship and crew. Nine years to make friends and form enemies, to go on adventures and get in trouble and narrowly escape each time. The map of Yoongi's travels stretched out in every direction, giving way for too many possibilities of what he could want most.

"Jimin, can you sense where we're headed?" Namjoon asked.

Jimin shook his head, then eyed the captain as he spoke. "I can barely get a hold on the direction. I'll take a look at the map you made me keep."

Jimin seemed cautious. Was he really worried that one of us would steal the map and throw him overboard because we didn't need him anymore? I couldn't see anyone doing that. Not even Yoongi, who wasn't fond of Jimin in the first place.

"Alright. Let Taehyung know our heading as soon as you figure it out," Yoongi ordered, "Let's get ready to sail, boys."

And then the men were dispersing, going to their different stations and preparing to lift the anchor.

I'd come to find out that we had never left after our battle with the other pirates. We were still sat beside the black monster of a ship that had once belonged to Namjoon's father and Booth. It was a shame to leave such a beautiful vessel behind, but we didn't have the time it would take to learn to sail it alongside Yoongi's.

"Katherine, can you come with me?" Jimin's satin voice chimed.

I faced him, noticing once again his tired appearance. It was unsettling seeing him that way, and I worried for him.