Promise (Mifune x Reader) + New Book

Manga spoilers
Mature themes suggested
Important note at the end

"When's Mifune gonna come pick me up?" Angela asks, blissfully unaware of her guardian's fate. Her innocence is charming, a newly bloomed flower basking in the sunlight. The truth of the matter is a poison. It'll kill her to know the truth. And yet I made a promise that I could never go back on.

~□~□~□~□~□~□~□~

The candles in the room start to burn themselves out. Their warming glow beginning to fade away into the dark shadows of the night. From the table in my room, through the sheer bed canopy curtains pulled across the perimeter of the bed, I watch the last one begin to flicker away as it takes it's last dying breath. A darkness I have adjusted to consumes the room. Yet I remain feeling safe and protected from the unknown lurking in the night while held in the samurai's arms.

My naked back is held against his bare chest as he holds me close, spooning me. He offers warmth in our natural state, the only thing covering us a thin sheet that gives little of it. I lean back into him more, relaxing my exhausted and sore body from the sultry and sensual love he made to me.

I feel Mifune move behind me, and then a pair of velvety lips press against my cheek. No ulterior motive concealed underneath his pure love expressed in that kiss. I turn around in his arms and hold him as he holds me, with all the care in the world. He kisses me softly before speaking;

"I need to ask you for a favour."

"Anything," I respond. For there is nothing I wouldn't do. I would follow Mifune to the end of the Earth, knowing he will always protect me.

"I will defend you and Angela to the death if need be. And if that need arises, I want you to be Angela's guardian in my place."

"I'll care for her like my own child," I promise, leaning in to quickly kiss Mifune.

"You make a good mother for her."

Those words spark tiny bubbles to float around inside of me, popping and spreading the joy they are made of. Hearing those words, it being recognized that I am capable of loving and supporting Angela, and doing a good job at it, gives me indescribable glee. Like the candles when they were lit, I melt at the mere thought of being loke a mother to Angela and having Mifune by my side.

"Thank you," I whisper. The 'your welcome' is another kiss, the hundredth of the hour. My cheek is cupped in his strong hands, rough from the hard and honest work of protecting Angela and I. His lips though, are the sweetest I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. It's addictive, practically spiralling me into euphoria each time they brush upon my own.

"I promise you, swearing on my own life, that Angela will not be hurt as long as we are around. I just want for you to nurture her alongside me."

~□~□~□~□~□~□~□~

No one else can speak. The horror of taking away a child's innocence so sweet and fleeting scares away those knowing the truth. Tsubaki can't answer, having been there while Mifune was killed. Death is hard to break the news to a child for the first time. However Angela has been exposed to it before. And as her guardian, I must rise to the occasion.

"Angela, sweetie," I say, and wave her over. I will keep my promise to Mifune. It's only her and I now, but I know Mifune will never stop protecting us, not even death will stop him.

~○~○~○~○~○~○~○~

What better way to announce a new book related to Soul Eater than to write a oneshot about the character?

New book on my profile entitled: Beside You. It's a short Mifune x reader story. Frequent updates, but there won't be too many - hence why I called it short. An actual happy ending too, I promise.

I finished it all two weeks ago but put off publishing it because I got nervous, lol. Also, thanks for 181k reads and over 5k votes, that's actually amazing ily so much. Enjoy your summer!