Birthday (Death the Kid x Reader)

Edited: 06/04/18

A carnival is in town. I decided to go. Why not? I have been saving up for something fun. This only comes once a year so I might as well. It is a special day anyway.

I search through the closet for something to wear. I decide on a graphic t-shirt and a ____ and black plaid shirt, jeans, and black boots. I do my normal makeup. Grabbing my phone and wallet I head out the door.

~At The Carnival~

There is a smell of buttery popcorn and mini donuts. I must have some. Walking to the stand I see someone from school. Death the Kid. Not wanting to talk to anyone I just look away.

"12 mini donuts. Large bag of popcorn. Please." I place my order.

"That'll be $12.00. All for you or some for your friend over there?" The man in the booth says. Being as I came with no one I look behind me. Kid was watching me, but he looks away like he does not want to be caught looking at me.

"No. Just someone from my school. Didn't know he was here." I hand him the money and he hands me the hot treats.

"Have a nice rest of your night!"

"Thanks. You too." I walk towards Kid. Aiming to go right past him.

The aroma of the food is irresistible. I grab some popcorn and put it in my watering mouth. Just the right amount of butter. I head for the ferris wheel.

I get in line. Kid is behind me. Kind of creeping me out to be honest. By the time I get to the front he decides to talk to me. By then I finished off my donuts.

"Hey. Want to ride together?" He asks in a mumble. Is he embarrassed by something?

"Yeah sure. How are you?" I ask.

"Good. How about you?"

"Pretty good." It is my birthday. No one said 'Happy Birthday', so it kind of sucked. I haven't seen my parents yet today so I can not blame them. At least no one sang. What are you supposed to even do? What should your facial expression be? Who should you look at?

"That is good." He says. Leaving us in complete silence as we board the ride, sitting across from each other. I start to talk again.

"You were watching and following me since I got my food. Why? It was kind of creepy."

"Wanted to talk to you. Didn't know how." He says as I pop another handful of popcorn in my mouth.

"Could have just said 'hi'." I speak with my mouth full of the glorious popcorn.

"I was feeling a bit awkward."

"Why?"

"I didn't even say 'Happy Birthday' to you all day! I feel the worst."

"Day isn't over yet." I stuff another handful into my face.

"Happy Birthday." He says.

"Thanks. Want some?" I offer with food in my mouth.

"Sure. Thanks." He grabs some and munchs slowly.

We sit in awkward silence. What is with this? We usually talk all day at school.

When the ride finishes I get off, Kid following closely beside me. A warm feeling covers my hand. I look down and see Kids hand holding mine. Friendly gesture, though this night is a bit strange. I am totally okay with this, we are just friends. I only want to mean more to him than a friend.

Kid starts to pull me towards a booth. It is the one where you hit a thing with a hammer, and the things goes up and hits a bell. He hands the girl his money and grabs a hammer. I stand back so I don't get hit. With one strike he slams the hammer down on the platform and the thing flies into the bell, making it start to blare its short siren. My mouth opens, usually it is hard to hit that bell.

"Well done," the girl praises and gestures to the assortment of stuffed animals, "Pick a prize."

"You pick," Kid turns to face me, "Your gift from me."

"The penguin, please." The girl hands me the surprisingly soft black and white penguin.

"Happy birthday." Kid says, and gives me a peck on the cheek; quickly giving me another on the other one, to keep it symmetrical. Pulling back away from him most likely turning redder than I ever had before.

"Wh...a...uh...er...huh?" I say in complete gibberish. Kid just smiles at me being flustered.

"You're cute when flustered. I'll make sure the rest of the gang says 'happy birthday' tomorrow, to make up for not saying it today. Hope you had a good day."

"Even better day now you're with me. Now lets go on more rides!" I pull him, and he chuckles.