Chapter 30

The wedding was emotional. My dear mother didn't make it. Her excuse was that "something came up", even worst then her excuse was the fact that she said she will explain everything after the wedding.

Uncle Sam had given Beth over to her new husband, and I won't lie, I am very thrilled that my baby sister is finally happy. Clark was here too. He didn't look as disheveled as he had looked at the funeral. His beard was shaven and he looked as good as new. His lovely very pregnant wife was practically glowing next to him and her hands laid sprawled out on her big belly. I can't wait to see our little baby nephew exploring this dangerous world.

Beth walked up to me, tears streaming down her once beautifully make-up face. "Thank you for coming back and being on time for my wedding." She sniffed and pulled me into a hug. "Don't cry Beth. You're ruining your make up and the photos aren't even taken yet!" I hugged her tightly back and I could feel a certain someone's gaze on us.

Carlo...

We haven't had a chance to talk much about last night, but what I know is that I hope it doesn't change at all. I enjoyed it and I loved it. I don't know about him, but I will do it anytime again. I never had time to consider my feelings that had developed over the three months that I had been with Carlo. Things were just too much to even notice the sudden way my heart started to beat faster when I stared at him or the heat rushing to my face when we were in the same room. I never thought I would fall in love with a complete rebel in order to hide from the one thing I was scared of....

"I know, I know!" Beth pulled away and fanned her face with her perfectly manicured hands. "I was just so scared that you wouldn't show after Mother called to tell me that awful news." She pouted and I smiled sadly at her. If only she knew what our dear mother was really capable of she wouldn't have been this upset at all. "I am going to Bertha and ask her if she can fix this mess," She pointed to her face and laughed, "I think your lover boy wants you to himself for a bit." She nodded in the direction of Carlo and I felt my cheeks heating up.

After we took our different ways, I made my way to Carlo who was leaning against the wall of the barn where Beth's wedding took place. Who knew she loved farms? I didn't, and this made me realize how little I really did know of my baby sister. He smiled and pushed himself of the wall and circled me into an embrace. I leaned into his touch and took in a breath.

"I missed you." He murmured against my head and I smiled, "I missed you too." He pulled away slightly to look at my face and he scanned it before a satisfied smile made its way to his face. "I like you with make-up and fancy hair." I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "It honestly hurts when my hair is this tight against my head." He laughed and gosh it was the most captivating sound ever.

After the photo shoot we were all heading to go to the lounge where the after party will be held in order to celebrate the union. Carlo and I were silent through the entire drive, enjoying each other's company, while Ricardo took a drive with some girl he met at the wedding.

"I wonder what the reason was for my mother's sudden actions." I looked at Carlo with a deep frown on my face as he pulled into a parking space. "I don't know, Princess." He took the key out of the ignition and looked at me, "But whatever reason it is, I don't trust it." I nodded my head.

I didn't trust it either. My mother would never have missed her favorite child's wedding. Unless she has something planned.

We went into the lounge and everything was already on full blast. Guys in suits were dancing with women in pretty dresses. Everyone seemed to be having fun. I took hold of Carlo's hand and started for Beth, who was now on the phone talking loudly to someone. It seemed serious. I didn't waste time to get to her, but when I finally got through the mass of people she had hanged up and was giving me a solemn look.

"What's wrong?" I asked, grabbing her hands. She leaned forward and what she said took my breath away, "They found the murderer who killed our dad."