Chapter 5

Carlo's House.

I am woken up by talking somewhere in the house. A train of thoughts from what happened yesterday comes in my mind and I sit up. My dream is also clear in my head. It was the day my father got murdered, only this time I caught the person. The blood on my hands felt so real and the dead body with the black mask laid sprawled out on the study floor. If only it was real.

I shake my head and throw the covers off from my body. The sudden coldness of the air kisses my bare legs and I suck in a breath. I sit for an entire while to stop the spinning in my head. It still feels so unreal, but the hole in my heart feels real. My father is still gone and I am really in a strangers house, and in his clothes. This feels so awkward. 

I grab my phone and send Clarke a text, just to let him know I am fine. I get up from the bed afterwards and kneels down to look for the pants. I swear I left it on the ground. I look under the bed. "Ah, you're awake." I jump at the sudden voice and stand up, immediately pulling the shirt lower than it already is. It isn't that short, it reaches mid thigh, but I still feel exposed.

Carlo looks me up and down and that just made things worst. I look down in embarrassment, a blush blossoming on my cheeks.  "You're uncle dropped your clothes here a while ago." His eyes finally meets mine after he looked at my caramel colored legs, "I would prefer if you get a little more dressed before leaving your room." He mutters, sounding displeased, "I have guests, and they're not the best type to look at half naked girls."

I blush at his obvious way of putting it. He's too straight forward, and that is something I could never tolerate. Not even from my father. If he didn't like the way my mother dressed or the way I spoke to him, he made sure to show his distaste in us. Why does this stranger remind me of him? 

"I placed your bags near the dresser." He nods his head to said dresser and I look that way, seeing the duffel bag and travel bag next to each other. I nod my thank you, ignoring the creepy fact that he was in my room while I was sleeping, and he turns to leave, but looks one more time over his shoulder, then he shut the door behind him.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and let go of the shirt. I grab the duffel bag and zip it open after placing it on the bed. Inside were my underwear and toiletries. Right, he packed it separate. I remember when he used to pack my bags before I went to visit him for a weekend, he always did it this way. He use to tell me it's easier to find the little important things.

I grab the other bag and zip it open. Inside were different clothes, but enough to last me two weeks. I consider going shopping and decide that I'll ask Carlo when I am done dressing. I start looking for something decent to wear. There is another stranger in the house. Maybe it is his girlfriend? Maybe that is why he feels uncomfortable with me going out in nothing but his shirt. 

I get out a pair of skinny jeans and a black T-shirt, I also grab my pair of combat boots. Thank goodness my uncle knows my style. I don't understand why Beth can walk all day in high heels like my mother. I have worn those to the funeral and it felt like my feet is being squished and poked by knives.  

I check myself in the mirror and tie my hair into a high ponytail. I walk to the door and take a deep breath before walking out the room and towards the kitchen. I stop dead before entering, listening if I can figure out who is here and how many. 

"So, you'll do it?" It's a man's voice. So, no girlfriend? I feel a slight flutter in my stomach and brush it off. 

"Yeah, I'll do it tonight."

I frown at the conversation, but I won't bother to find out what it is about. It has nothing to do with me or the case with my father's death. I step in the kitchen and two pair of eyes lands on me. A guy with sandy hair and green eyes looks me up and down and then smiles. Another creepy stranger. Why couldn't it have been a girl? 

"Hello there, I am Arnold!" He greets friendly and I smiles back. At least he is a bit nicer than Carlo. I can handle it a nice person. "Karla. My name's Karla Winter." His eyes widens after I said my surname and he whips his head to Carlo, who just shrugs. He's still shirtless.

"Winter? As in-"

"Yes, Angelo Winter was my father. I get it, he was a huge success in his gang life and business life, whatever." I snap. I realized my mistake and get myself composed. I take in a deep breath, "I'm sorry. It's just, a lot has been going on and I can't deal with everything."

"Want some coffee?" Carlo lifts his cup and I nod my head, soundlessly. I sit down next to Arnold, who now, keeps his eyes at front.

So much for checking me out.

"I'm sorry about his farewell." Arnold speaks again when Carlo places the cup of coffee down in front off me. "It's not like you killed him." I grumble and take a sip of my coffee. He might be a possibility tho, you can't trust anyone anymore. I ignore the little voice and take another sip.

"I didn't, but I can help to find those who did." He smiles and I look at him. Help me? What does he know that I don't? "How, exactly?" I raise a brow. 

(Edited.)