Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

On The Road

I stare out of the car window as my uncle drives on. We are driving on a long, silent, and empty road leading us to who knows where. It's past ten and my mother...well she wouldn't be worried. I am not even living with them anymore. I was just supposed to stay the night tonight, but I doubt they would even mind if I am not there.

"I am sorry that you had witness that," my uncle apologizes for the millionth time already, "but what he said is partly true." He starts to explain more, "Your father has left all his money in your will," I frown at his words and turn my head to look at him through the rear-view mirror. In my will? I am not an only child. We are talking about millions here.

"But...what about Clarke?" He had to have left something in my brother's will, it can't just be me, "And Beth?" My little sister...she too has to have something. Even though she has had everything her little heart desires. I just can't understand why I am the one to get the winning prize.

"Your brother has the entire business to himself, he has his own riches, Beth has everything her father had given her. He had given her a bank account with enough amount of money to last her a lifetime." He explains as he stares out at the road in front of him, "She just has to grow up and find herself a job," he mumbles the last part. It's true that my sister hasn't found a job yet. She spends her young life in hunting for a husband, this Richard guy is her fourth fiancé. She probably got it from our lovely mother.

"Sadly, with that much money in your account there will be people whose greed will get the upper hand." He explains further, "Why are they after me? I didn't choose to have the money," I sigh and look out of the window once again, watching the trees and bushes pass by in a fast motion. I am enjoying this ride, but the tiredness is getting heavier on my eyelids.

"Nobody knew you would have it, only your father." He sighs as well, probably wondering why my father hadn't shared this with me yet. "Then how come you know about it?" I ask curiously and he looks briefly at me through the rear-view mirror. "Your father has always shared everything with me, Karla." He explains, "He would have wanted me to take care of you when a time like this comes." I don't ask further questions. He speaks like he knew that my father would get killed. I feel the anger settle in my stomach.

Why didn't I know my father that well? I was suppose to know everything about him. I knew about his favourite hobbies and where to find him on his bad days, but I never knew about any wills or possible threats in his own family home. My anger turns to sadness when I realise that I will never get a call from him again to ask me something stupid or to spend time with me.

"I am leaving you with one of the most trained people I know." This sparks my interests. I wasn't expecting that we were heading to a total stranger's house in an unknown location. This day just keeps getting better and better. I lean back in the leather seat, feeling the tiredness kicking in at full swing, but I force my eyes to stay open.

"He will take care of you and make sure that you are hidden, up until those killers are caught. The process might take months, years even! You just have to be hidden," I am shocked. Years? Months? What about my life? What about everything I have in New York? What about my career that took so long to grow? I can't just not show up to work, they will fire me!

"And what about..." I try to speak, but he continues to talk like I wasn't about to rant and cry about something that would determine my future from here on out.

"Your brother and sister are not a bother to them. Your mother neither, they just want to get rid of you, because, like I said, they want the money." he answers my question before it leaves my mouth. "And my job? My apartment rent?" I voice my other concerns and I see him slump his shoulders. "You really are your father's daughter." He murmurs. "It will all be taken care off. Don't worry too much, Principessa." I realise that what he meant in his words, and I feel stupid for thinking about simple things like this when my life could end at any given moment.

"Where are we headed?" I have to ask when my eyes meet another board telling me we are heading out of New York. Saugerties. What a weird name.

"To Carlo."

The house in front of us isn't big, but not small either. It has a front porch, and it looks...homey. The type of home I still won't be able to afford with the pay I am getting. I feel a slight pain when I think about losing everything I have worked so hard for just to hide for my life, when I realise that my "normal" does not exist anymore. I can't believe that my father's death would have such an impact on my life.

I push the car door open and climb out of the car, careful not to stumble over my black heels I had worn to the funeral. I bite the insides of my cheek as I slam the door shut and make my way next to my uncle. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and gives me a slight squeeze. "I am sorry that you have to go through all of this right after experiencing what you did, Principessa." I just nod my head, trying not to remember what I have seen, but my memories still decide to show me those haunting eyes of the man that is my father.

"Carlo has been like a son to me, he wouldn't mind taking you in for a while and taking care of you," he explains, and I can't help but wonder who this mysterious Carlo could possibly be. And take me in? It sounds like I am being put up for foster care!

Uncle Sam knocks on the door, three times. It opens after ten seconds, and a shirtless guy stands in the door frame. My eyes travel down his torso, and I must say, this wasn't at all what I was expecting. Now I have to live with a hot guy too?!

How normal can this be?

(Edited.)