Chapter 27

"I know." 

She was surprised, but it's the truth. I know that my mother wants me dead. "But, I want you to do me a favor." She leans forward, "Don't tell anyone I am here." She pulls away with a frown. "Why? You had to come back for my wedding, didn't you?" Oh, she is so naive. "Yes, but there is still someone looking for me and he isn't very friendly. I need you to keep quiet, please Beth." I grab her hands in mine and she looks frightened by the sound of my voice. If I didn't know anything and why my mother is suddenly a wicked witch, I too would have been afraid.

Here I thought she was part of the plan. Yet somehow I still didn't trust her. That's why I left my apartment without telling her where I'll be going or about Carlo's sister. Uncle Sam's waiting patiently outside in the stolen car and we all pile in. "Beth is inside. She told me that my mother wants me dead." I murmur as if it didn't mean much, but it was really bothering me. 

Uncle Sam looks at me, "Beth didn't know about the money or about your father's secret life." He reassures me, "The fact that your mother wants to kill you is already frightening enough for her." He gives me a small smile, "She's safe. Don't worry." He starts the car, "Her newest fiance is part of your father's gang." I am not sure if I should be happy about it, but at least he wasn't part of Brian's numb-skull gang. 

The drive wasn't long and the house wasn't big. There were already a bustling in the yard and pink and white balloons decorated the entrance gate. Carlo grabs hold of my hand when we got out and his hand feels sweaty. He's nervous. I give it a squeeze and start walking to the gate.

The gate didn't have a doorbell, but a woman was standing outside. She didn't look that old, but she didn't look young either. "Mama!" Carlo waves at the woman and she turns to face us. I could see the shock and joy with a million other emotions flashing across her face. I am in awe by her beauty. She looks almost exactly as Carlo, just a female. "Carlo! You made it!" She smiles and comes towards the gate. 

She unlocks it and gives him a bear hug, then turns to me. I smile. "Who is your friend?" She asks and smiles back. Carlo grins and pulls me closer to him, "This, Mama, is Karla." He goes quiet and gives his mother a steady glance, "Karla Winter." The woman's eyes widens and she pulls Carlo by the arm. 

"What have I told you about the Winters?" She whisper yells at him and I frown in confusion. Her entire demeanor changed. Protective. "Mama, if it wasn't for Karla I wouldn't have been here." He defends and she looks at me, "Where's Samuel Jefferson?" I look back at the car and my uncle gets out. He walks up to us and stops next to me. They know each other?"Hello, Rosie." He smiles politely and her eyes starts to water. "Carlo, go greet Adora." She orders softly.

Carlo guides me to the backyard where a lot of kids are playing. I was expecting a girly party, something like a unicorn, but this party didn't have a theme and there were a mix of girls and boys. All between the ages of 4, 5 or 6. Maybe a little older. There was one little girl standing out in the crowd and she's wearing a blind fold. Her little hands are stretched out before her and she's laughing as the kids screams and runs away when she gets closer to them. I smile as I remember the childhood game, Marco Polo.

Carlo lets go of my hand and walks towards her. He stands still in front of her and her little hands touches his legs. She takes the blind fold of and there are silence for a moment before an excited scream escapes her lips. I smile as I watch them. A heartwarming moment. "She missed him very much." I turned to face Rosie who's now standing next to me. Her arms are crossed. "I can see that. He missed her too." I smile. She seems strict and like someone I don't want to mess with.

She turns to face me, "Are you going to hurt him?" I look at her, "No, I am not." She stares at me, "And Adora?" I shake my head, "I'll never hurt an innocent heart that has done nothing wrong yet." Rosie looks away from me, "Your father is dead. His gang is now yours and your uncle is scared for what you are capable of, young lady. I am scared as well." I don't answer her. This is new news to me. Uncle Sam hasn't even told me. "Adora's mother was taken away from her before she could barely meet her. She was shot while being pregnant and Adora was thankfully rescued and safe." I feel my heart clench and frown with guilt.

"Why are you telling me this? Not even Carlo has." Rosie smiles, "You deserve to know after you brought him here. And you got hold of the part in his heart where only Celia has touched before." 

Carlo turns around, holding a very happy girl in his arms and I feel my heart ache when I realize like who this little girl looks like. Yet, when Rosie spoke of a Celia I didn't expect it to be....her.