Ch. 20 - Study Buddies

Start from the beginning

"You two," she heard Yaoyorozu say, "I may be able to be of assistance with the class lectures."

Kaminari and Mina cried out in appreciation. As more of their classmates approached Yaoyorozu for help, Kaminari turned to Hitomi.

"Hitomi, you get really good grades, right? Do you think you could help us out in studying too?"

Hitomi tensed, a sheepish smile on her face. "Oh, I don't really study that much, actually, so I don't think I'd be very good at tutoring..."

"WHA?! But you got 5th on the midterms!!" Mina cried out.

Hitomi blushed, embarrassed. "Well, I usually can already understand the material from the homework and assignments we get anyway; I'd probably get better grades if I actually studied..."

"How are you like this?!" Kaminari said.

Hitomi smiled. "It's an anomaly, I guess."

----------

Kirishima had practically begged Hitomi to help him out with English, leading her to meet him at a cafe over the weekend.

She found the redhead seated in a booth by the window, his notebooks and pencil case already sprawled out on the table.

She set her bag down as she took a seat across from him. "I'm warning you right now, Kirishima, I'm not very good at teaching."

"It's fine, Hitomi! You're the best in the class at English, so I wanted your help specifically."

"I'll do my best..."

"How are you so good at English, anyway?" Kirishima asked as he took a sip of his drink. "You even have the accent down and everything."

Hitomi was about to respond before she heard a voice at the edge of the table.

"...the hell are you doing here?"

Hitomi turned at the sound of the voice, the source surprising her.

"Bakugou?!"

"Oh, I didn't tell you?" Kirishima said. "Bakugou's helping me study too."

"No, Kirishima, you didn't."

Bakugou plopped down on the seat next to Hitomi, huffing as he opened his bag.

"Sorry about that!" Kirishima said as he ran a hand through his hair. "Guess I forgot."

"It's fine," Hitomi mumbled. "I doubt I'd be much help anyway."

Just please don't leave me alone with him.

----------

Hitomi had basically watched Bakugou beat knowledge into Kirishima's head the whole time, silent as she ate her food. Kirishima didn't seem to be bothered by it that much, though.

She was flipping through her history workbook, trying to brush up on her Japanese history.

Moving to a different country in the middle of your adolescence really messes up your history knowledge...

"Hey, Hitomi," Kirishima said, catching her attention, "we're moving on to English now."

"Right, sorry!" she said, snapping the workbook shut.

Pulling out her English materials, she heard Kirishima talking to her again. "Hey, you never answered my question. How are you so good at English, again?"

"Oh, that? I guess I've never really told anyone, huh...

Well, my family used to live in America."