-chapter seventy three-

Two days after Benjamin and Tia leave, I finally decide to open the box that Charlie brought me. 

Emmett had placed it in my room so I sit on the floor and peel open the flaps. 

There on top was my clothes that I had left behind. Pulling those out, I come across gifts that I've collected from the Cullen's. Then there is a photo album of Izzy, Jack, and me. 

I reach the bottom and I recognize the brown paper bag. I open it and pull out the contents. 

I stare at the carton of cigarettes before turning and throwing it as hard as I can against the wall, watching the carton explode and cigarettes roll onto the floor. 

Under the bag was a note in Charlie's scrawl. And then there was a single red rectangle. 

It's the lock that Charlie put on my window to keep me in.

I feel trapped and I can't breathe. 

I stand and yank my door open and going downstairs, taking the steps two at a time. I pause at the bottom of the stairs but I then continue onwards and out the back door, ignoring the concerned calls after me. 

I leave my coat and shoes at the front door. It would take too long to put them on.

I can't think of anything but that stupid note. 

'you're being silly Jolene' 

I'm not being silly, why can't Charlie understand that. 

'I'll forgive you if you come home'

Forgive me for what? I didn't do anything!

'We can talk about how to fix your girl situation' 

Did he mean Rosalie? Did he not accept that I was gay? Are both my of my bio parents homophobes? 

I finally stop once my legs ache and the cold air makes my lungs hurt. 

"Jo," 

I whip around to look at the twins who had followed me. It was probably the whole 'protector' thing. 

They move towards me as I tumble towards them, throwing an arm around each of their shoulders and holding them close, letting the familiar cold wash over me. 

"You're shaking," Alec comments, pulling back and grasping my trembling hand. 

"It's just emotions," I gasp out, wiping away tears that slither down my cheeks. 

They lead me to a fallen log and I collapse onto it, not caring about the dirt of water from the recent rain getting on my pants. 

They sit on either side of me. 

"Edward said that you opened the box that the man gave you and to give you space before you ran," Alec starts.  "He's hurt you. You've told us before that you would miss your scars because you hadn't been taught to care. Why do you continue to let him torment you?" 

I let out a sigh and reach up to run my hand through his hair. "This is a different time then you were born. I cannot get away from him so easily. Yes, I am eighteen, almost nineteen. But Charlie, no matter how badly he fucks up, still cares about me in some odd way." 

"He has no right to treat you like that," Jane hisses. 

"You're right," I tell her and she looks a little startled that I agree. "But I still live in the same town as him. I may be a Cullen, I may call Carlisle my father but as far as Charlie is concerned, I am Jolene Swan, his kid."