-chapter thirty one-

The Cullen children got back late that night and were met by the witch twins. 

They were standing in front of the entrance, side by side with glares enough to kill without their powers. 

"You're supposed to be with Jolene." Rosalie frowns. "What if Nico got in?" 

"You can have your family meetings. You can go 'Nico hunting'. You can do many things. But you cannot leave her alone." Alec straightens, folding his arms. "You didn't think to tell her that you were leaving." 

"She doesn't need to know that Nico was sighted around here." Edward hissed. 

"Aro wants her to watch his death. I think that she deserves to know. You shouldn't keep secrets like that from her." Alec snaps. 

"Why the fuck do you care?" Jasper bites back. 

"Because she had one of those episode things when she heard that you left. She kept mumbling that she was alone and how she doesn't blame you for running." Alec lists. 

"She called us names." Jane frowns, glaring at them. "Who is Izzy?" 

"And Jack." Alec pipes up. 

The anger washes from the Cullen's faces. 

"What did you do?" Alice questioned. 

"We didn't do anything!" Alec defends himself.

"What did you do that made her call you by those names?" Alice reiterates her question. 

Neither of the twins answer, staring at the five Cullen children. 

"She thinks you abandoned her." Alec informs. "Fix it." 

"How is she?" Rosalie questioned. 

"Look. You left a panicking human with us. We don't comfort humans, we eat them." Jane glares. "We hadn't a clue what to do until Alec remembered that square that played music." 

"She kept hitting her head against the wall." Alec comments. "I panicked!" 

"You said she would be okay!" Rosalie turns to stare at Alice. 

"I told you Jane and Alec would be okay. You know that Aro thinks Nico blocks my visions of Jolene." Alice reiterates. 

"She thought I'd leave her." Rosalie mumbles brokenly. Then she gets angry. "She should know that I wouldn't leave her!" 

"Rosalie," Jasper starts. "You know that every relationship that she has had was only men using her body for sex before abandoning her. She know's know different so her mind is constantly telling her to be alert for when you're fed up with her because then you'll toss her away." 

Rosalie nods. "I know. I just get frustrated sometimes that I wasn't there to help her." 

"Go and see her." Edward tells her. "Let her express how she feels before reassuring her." 

Rosalie nods, setting off to find Jolene. 

-elastic heart- 

"Jo?" 

I burrow further under the pile of covers, wishing for the voices to go away. Leave me alone. 

"Jo, can I come in?"

 I pause. That's the voice of my angel. My Ro.

"Please, Jo. We need to talk." Rosalie pleads. 

She shouldn't of come back. It was too dangerous. 

"No!" I moan from under the sheets. "Go away!" 

She has to be safe. Nico is going to hurt her. 

"Please. Then let me talk. Just listen." Rosalie tells me. "I'm sorry that we left." 

It's okay. I understand. 

"A coven near here reported seeing a vampire that fit Nico's description heading towards Volterra. Not wanting anyone to panic, Aro sent a handful of us out under the ruse of hunting. It was just us, Felix and Demetri to go and scope it out." Rosalie sighs. "I shouldn't of went. You needed me but I let my need to protect you overwhelm my need to keep you happy. I'm so sorry, Jo. I'm sorry." 

Nico was near here? 

Nico was near the cluster of ancient red eyed vampires just to get to me? 

"I got scared." I admit under a mumble. She had peeled back all my layers and left me this scared little girl. She broke through my BAMF phase and kept chiseling away until she saw the real me. 

"I know. And I'm sorry." Rosalie's voice cracks. "I love you so much Jo. I haven't loved anybody as much as I love you and I don't think I ever will." 

Fresh tears trickle down my cheeks and pave way over the old tear tracks. 

"Can we cuddle?"

The door was practically broken off it's hinges by Rosalie's haste as she moves to lay next to Jolene who was still under the mountain of blankets. 

Hesitantly, a hand peeks through and links pinkies with Rosalie's. 

Rosalie smiles down at the covers and the little scarred pinky that made it's way to interlock with hers. 

Things would be okay. 

Yeah, things would be okay.