-chapter two-

Classes were boring. 

I had met a few of Mike's friends but they weren't my type. They were what I had dubbed 'fake friends'. They were only your friend until you needed them. 

Time ticks by slowly until it was finally lunch time. 

When the bell rings, I try to map out in my head where I could possibly find the bleachers. 

I decided to head towards the gym and set off on my adventure.

True to his word, Colton was under the bleachers. 

He was ignoring a few boys that were hurling insults at him, pushing him around. Instead, he buries his face deeper into the book he was reading. 

I hate bullies. I had been bullied quite a bit when I was younger before I learned to fight back. 

I greet him with a chirpy 'hey Cole!' before stalking past him and sending my fist into one of the boy's nose.

I didn't mean to end up in the principals office on the first day but shit happens. I didn't even make it to lunch.

So, I sit next to Colton in a hard plastic chair, broken from years of abuse as I wait for Charlie to finish his talk with the principal.

"Thanks." Colton mumbles. "But you shouldn't of done that."

"Eh, screw them." The ice pack pressed firmly against my face was the only sign that a fight had broken out. "I'm Jolene Swan. But you can call me Jo." 

"Colton Pierce. You probably know me as 'that weird boy'." Colton gives me a soft smile. "Why did you help me?" 

"They said you were weird." I shrug. "Everyone's a little weird. I'm weird. Besides, the ones they warn you to stay away from are the most interesting." 

Colton gives me a smile as the door to the principals office opens and Charlie steps out with a frown on his face. 

"Hey daddio." I give him a sheepish grin. He didn't seem as mad as Renee usually was. She eventually just stopped turning up and I would sit in the office until school ended. 

"C'mon." Charlie just sighs. "We'll try school again tomorrow." 

So, I wasn't suspended? 

I pull my backpack over my shoulder as I follow Charlie out the front door, pausing to look back at Colton. "See you tomorrow, Cole." 

Colton looks surprised that I was speaking to him and opened his mouth to say something. 

But I was gone before anything passed his lips. 

-Elastic Heart-

"You got into a fight on the first day of school!" Charlie paces the kitchen. "What happened?" 

"That boy. Colton." I fold my arms. "They were making fun of him. Pushing him around. I merely stood up for what I believe in." 

"Which is?" Charlie sighs. 

"You don't pick on the weak. Did you see how tiny that boy was, dad? A gust of wind could knock him over and those kids were picking on him. I had to step in." I defend myself. "Did you know that fourteen percent of high school students think of suicide due to bullying and seven percent attempt it?"

Charlie lets out a long breath of air, not quite a sigh as he pulls out a chair and flops into it. 

"I'm proud of you," He starts. "For standing up for what you believe in and helping another kid but fighting wasn't the answer. You sent one boy to the emergency room, Jo. You got suspended on the first day of school!"