𝙴𝚙𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

⌖

Five Years Later
May 1946

THE WAR HAD ENDED exactly eight months ago. People were still celebrating, even though it had almost been a year. The English had one, and Germany did its best to rise from the ashes, along with France.

Tommy and Evelyn were now twenty-two, which was still young. They went their separate ways, Tommy to fight, and Evelyn to her mother to live with in the country. Letters were not uncommon between the two, as they wrote whenever they could. It seemed like ages until they saw each other again.

Never will they forget the day when he came home. They had missed each other so much, and the letters were nothing compared to the kiss they shared out of pure joy. It happened all quickly. It started with a tight hug, and then they pulled apart to look at each at the other. Before anyone could say anything, Tommy's lips met Evelyn's, and that was their first kiss.

From that moment on, both knew what the wanted. So on Saturday, April 20, they were wed. It was a small wedding, but still the best day of their lives.

The first month of married life was everything that they hoped it would be. Their life wasn't exactly, perfect, and they struggled a little to make ends meet, but they made the best of it.
On their one month anniversary, they sat together on the balcony of their small flat. The sun was starting to set, and the horizon was magnificent.

The sky had been very blue that day, and one would've thought it an ocean. Evelyn thought the same, and she brought this up to her husband as they sat together.

-"It did indeed." Tom agreed while nodding his head slowly. Memories of being surrounded by water and sand flooded his brain and he stiffened ever so slightly.

Evelyn felt him tense and looked up at his face. She slid closer to him, wrapped her arms around waist and placed her head on his shoulder. His arm went around her, and he fondly kissed the top of her head.

-"I know what you're thinking of," she said quietly as it grew dark. Tom let out a sigh, his wife knew him well, no doubt about it.

-"Yes, one week and it's been five years! Feels like yesterday," he looks down at her, love and
admiration in his eyes.

"It isn't something I'd like to go through again, but that's when I met you. And I could relive that day over and over, knowing that you'll always be there."

-"I could as well. For that was when was you became my safe haven."

"