𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸𝙸𝙸 | 𝚂𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚑𝚒𝚙

⌖

TOMMY FOLLOWED EVELYN DOWN the side of the pier, letting her go first, knowing that she'd be safer between the two men instead of being in the front or the back. For only knowing her for a short while, he felt as if though it was his job to protect her, in a way.

Evelyn has never really been treated right by any man, and seeing Tommy care, (or that's what she thought she saw) gave her a safe feeling. She could've simply not gone with him when he gave her his hand back in the street, she could've left him when they walked back to  the shore. She could've stayed and helped some other man that was left on the beach, heck, she didn't even have to cross that wooden plank and possibly put her life in danger. But she stayed, and she didn't even have second thoughts about leaving his side. Tommy seemed determined, and like a good person to follow. He hadn't done anything that would make Evelyn want to leave his side, in fact, for the first time, in along time, she felt safe in a mans presence. Not only because he was soldier, trained to kill and fight the enemy, but because he gave off this safe aura.

Once the three had climbed safely down the side of the pier they hung onto the pillars that held up the bridge, for dear life. Whilst trying their best to not be seen, they overheard a conversation that some Officers were having. They heard bits and pieces, but not enough to make out what was being said.

Suddenly, a loud shriek could be heard and a then loud boom. And the boat that they thought would take them home, was nothing but a sinking ship now.

-"Evelyn come on!" Tommy shouts over all the noise as they move as quickly as possible out of the way. The boat was falling towards them, and if they didn't move, then they'd be squished.

Men with life jackets jump from the sinking boat leaving the wounded and Nurses on board. One soldier who happened to jump a little to late was stuck in between the boat and the pier. Tommy reaches his hand out and grabs the soldier in time before he can be squashed.

-"Thank you mate." The rescued soldier breathes.

-"Come on up here boys, there's another ship out farther in which you can get on!" The head Officer yells down to the men floating around in the water.