𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸𝚇 | 𝙰 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗

⌖

IT WAS LATE WHEN they finally arrived in Dover. Solider after solider climbed out of the yacht, the harbor is crowed with uniformed men. Evelyn decides to stay with Tommy.

-"Are you sure, you don't want to stay with us?" Peter asks once more.

-"Yes I'm sure. I'm sorry Peter, but don't worry. As soon as I get home I'll figure this all out!" Evelyn pulls him into a hug. The two hug each other tightly. They then pull apart when Mr. Dawson taps her shoulder.

"Good bye, and thank you." She whispers into her Uncle's ear.

Mr. Dawson doesn't say anything but let's go when it's Tommy and Alex's turn to get off. Tommy places his hand on the small of her back to gently guide and help her out of the yacht. The trio sticks together as they're handed warm cups of tea. The hot beverage soothing their dry throats immediately. The exhausted group is herded across the tracks and towards a train. They walk in silence, there's nothing to be said, it seems as if there's always nothing to be said. Each one in their own little world, to tried to care where they were going, or what they were doing. Before getting on to the locomotive, they're each handed a blanket and another cup of tea by an elderly man.

-"Well done lads...... well done, lads......"
The man who's eyes were so unfocused said.
Evelyn immediately realizing that he was blind.

-"All we did is survive." Alex says frankly.

-"That's enough. Well done lads, well done lads....."

Alex steps onto the train with Evelyn behind him, she looks back in time to see the man touching Tommy's face.

Tommy flops down on the seat across from Alex. Evelyn takes a seat next to him, wrapping her blanket around her small frame. Alex is slumped opposite, tears start rolling down his cheeks.

-"That old bloke wouldn't even look us in the eye." He cries.

-"That's because he couldn't." The girl says softly trying to not make him feel so bad.

She looks over at Tommy to see him asleep. She reaches out and brushes his hair off his forehead. She glances at him while he sleep, trying not to seem creepy. He just looked so peaceful, and that was something she had not seen of him before.

"Tommy, j'ai le béguin pour toi et je prie pour que tu ne saches pas le français."

She softly mumbles her confession. She then laughs quietly to herself. Four years of French and that was the only thing she could say with ease, and the funny part was, was that she didn't even learn it in class.