xlvii.

"He's very kind to me," Hyungwon went on about his roommate. "He's been exercising with me before we sleep. And he talks to me, and he sits next to me in class, and he helps me if I pass out." He paused. "I guess he's always done all that. He's just always been nice to me."

Dr. Irving smiled briefly at Hyungwon before scribbling on his notepad. He knew that, out of professional courtesy, it was his job to inform Hyungwon that Shin Hoseok would likely be out of their program within the month, but he'd only just begun to see a positive change in Hyungwon, and he didn't want to jeopardize that. In fact, this was the most Hyungwon had talked in the past few weeks, and the majority of the conversation had been about Hoseok and not Hyungwon.

Dr. Irving figured that that was just the kind of person Hyungwon was, one who treasured relationships with others more than he valued himself. There was danger there for sure, but the preference itself wasn't wrong, only in the occasions where a person couldn't regulate their attachments in regards to their personal health. Which, true, Hyungwon struggled with, but Dr. Irving knew that if he attempted to isolate Hyungwon and kill his dependence on others, he'd be killing Hyungwon, too. He'd honestly been quite worried about the thin boy for the past month or two, and having Hoseok support Hyungwon was the best outcome that could have occurred. Not only was Hyungwon forming a positive relationship, but unlike his relationship with Nathan in which Hyungwon had known that Nathan's identity had been part of Hoseok's condition, Hyungwon was now being accepted and cared about by someone who had moved past his illness.

To simplify it, Hyungwon was being accepted by someone who was normal, even though Hyungwon himself was different. Considering all the "normal" people who had rejected him in his life - his mother, his father, likely the other students at his school - Hoseok's acceptance meant the world to him.

Even if he had a hard time expressing it beyond short, simple sentences.

Dr. Irving listened to Hyungwon talked about his classmates until their time ran out, and then he wished Hyungwon good luck for the next week, complimenting him on his progress, before stepping into the next room.

"Hoseok," he greeted with a smile. "How are you doing?"

Hoseok looked up, a small smile on his lips. He was fully clothed, as he was still being allowed to forego the physical part of his examination for the time being, and instead was only being examined psychologically. "I'm doing well, thanks."

Dr. Irving nodded as he sat down in a chair, shuffling Hoseok's file to the top of his clipboard. "I just want to start off by thanking you for support Hyungwon as much as you have been. I know it hasn't been easy for you, adjusting to your original identity - I don't want to call it your real identity because all of your identities were real to you in the moment - but...what was I saying?" He nodded as he recaptured his train of thought. "I'm not allowed to divulge what was said in my session with Hyungwon exactly, but he spoke very highly of you, and I'm extremely grateful that you've made such a positive impact on him."

Wonho flushed slightly, not adept at handling compliments or gratitude. "It's nothing, I was just looking out for him...We're roommates and all...but..." He paused, licking his bottom lip before looking back up at Dr. Irving, his hands clasped together loosely. "I know...I know that our information is confidential, but...is there anything you can tell me about Hyungwon? About what's wrong with him, or how I'm supposed to help him?" Wonho flinched as the image of his fingers brushing Hyungwon's neck and Hyungwon forcefully pushing back against the wall. "Because I...there are triggers that I don't know about, and...I don't know what will help him and what will hurt him...so...I'm afraid..." He trailed off.

"What are you afraid of, Hoseok?" Dr. Irving asked, tilting his head. Even if Hyungwon was the subject, Hoseok was his patient, too.

"I'm afraid of hurting him somehow." Wonho huffed, clenching his fingers together. "Isn't there anything you can tell me?"

Dr. Irving scrunched his nose. Hoseok had put him in a tricky spot; it was true that much of Hyungwon's private and medical information was confidential, but Dr. Irving truly believed that Hoseok was somehow a part of Hyungwon's recovery, and if Hoseok could influence Hyungwon's mental health... "Helping Hyungwon through his condition is my job," Dr. Irving said kindly, still unsure as to how to respond.

Wonho leaned forward, forearms on his knees. "Please, anything, it doesn't have to be big or important, but...he's afraid of something, and I just...it's hard to see him like that. Afraid. In pain. Alone."

Dr. Irving sighed. "I can't release any sensitive information to you," he said slowly. "At least, nothing specific. But..."

Wonho's eyes lit up.

"All I can tell you is that Hyungwon has something similar to a recurring nightmare. I can't tell you what it's about; that's for Hyungwon to share. But that is most likely his main source of anxiety," Dr. Irving said, already feeling a bit guilty toward Hyungwon for exposing even such topical information without his permission, but deep down, he knew that whatever he'd been trying to accomplish with Hyungwon had been failing so far. He could only hope that Wonho would be able to help Hyungwon in a way that he himself couldn't.

But Wonho didn't have much time to do it, whatever it was.