Chapter 38

*Isabella Hernandez's POV:

It took an hour of walking before we finally made it out of those woods, that's when we found ourselves in a huge open meadow.

"Look! Past this meadow is a farm in the distance. If the farmer is home, he should be asleep by now" Noah said, staring out at the farm, far in the distance. It was so dark I could barely see it.

"We can steal their car and drive to the airport! Everything is coming together so perfectly!" I grinned before starting to jog through the meadow.

"She was never this crazy back home" Thomas said Noah, while shaking his head, still holding his bag over his head.

"I heard that!" I yelled as I ran through the meadow. Thomas and Noah began running too.

The gray moon shined brightly as it revealed our shadows through the overgrown weeds. My breath grew heavier and heavier as the medium-sized, slightly heavy bag on my shoulder was causing pain. Even through that, I kept running with my eyes straight on the barn. 

The land changed from a meadow to a cornfield, a sign we were getting closer.

We forced our way through the cornfield's leaves. Some of those leaves were sharp and left slight scratches on my skin, but I pushed through and tried not to shriek in pain. I could hear the faint mooing sound of nearby cows. 

We crouched down as we passed by a scarecrow, nearing the end of the cornfield. I could hear the mumbled sounds of voices as we moved slower, trying not to make any loud movements.

Slowly, I peeked my face through two corn stalks.

There, was a farmer with his wife talking in front of a pickup truck. She had two red suitcases, each one beside her. It seemed she was the one leaving, while her husband, whom was the farmer, was staying.

"Shit, I thought they were asleep!" Thomas cursed with a face-palm.

"Oh well, we'll just have to go with the flow and figure something out" I responded with a shrug.

"I'll miss you sweetheart; I know it's only an hour trip to the airport but be safe. Have a nice time in Hawaii, but don't have too much fun" he chuckled in a playful manner before kissing her cheek. "Oh, and make sure to stay away from those Super-Humans. Lord knows what those monsters are capable of."

"What an asshole, I should bury his ass" I scowled quietly.

"Whoa there girl. You'll need to get used to these types of people. They're everywhere and have been everywhere for years" Noah said, trying to reason with me.

"Don't be silly, I'm just visiting family, nothing more. But I might visit the beach and what not. Don't you worry, I will be alert and watch my surroundings, I promise" the Farmer's wife responded to him with a smile before placing her suitcases in the back of the cargo bed.

She went to the front of the truck to talk to her husband some more. After a few moments, she tells her husband that she had suddenly forgot something and runs into the house with her husband following behind.

I gazed at the truck and realized there was a black blanket, right beside the two suitcases. It covered the entire cargo bed. I decided this was the perfect time to sneak under it.

"You see that big black blanket? In the back of the truck? We should hide under it until she gets to the airport. Then, once we get there, before she gets out of her car, we will jump out and dash away" I told Noah and Thomas as they stood right beside me.

"Good thinking" Noah nodded.

"This is a bad idea!" Thomas gulped and whimpered.

"We can do this Thomas, you have to believe" I said to him, grabbing on to his hand.