Chapter 23

*Gaia King's POV:

We were on the highway for what felt like a half an hour.

Katie couldn't stop crying, but nobody tried to calm her down anymore. She just wouldn't budge.

I felt so sorry for her, I couldn't imagine what she was going through. She and Kamryn were orphans. They lost their parents at a young age, so all they had was each other. But now, Katie had no one. She was all alone now, with a bunch of people that she rarely knew. She was only twelve.

Kamryn was still laying there, long dead on Katie and Robin's lap. Blood was all over their pants, and the metallic smell of it filled the truck. Danny rolled down the windows a bit to take away the smell.

As Katie was crying, she ran her fingers through her sister's hair. Robin tried to distract herself by looking out of the window, tears still flowing down her face.

Robin, Mohammed and Katie sat in the back. I sat in the middle seats with Beval and Kimberly. Kimberly was to my left and Beval was to my right.

It was around 5:00 am, but the sky was getting no lighter, mainly because it was still winter, but the atmosphere was different. I wasn't as happy as I should've been. Even though I was free, I was anxious, scared, and angry.

Anxious, because I was worried that the police would find us and place us back in the camps or in jail. Plus the fact that we basically stole a police truck, they would give us a lengthy sentence. Scared, because I knew that this was only the beginning, and that we would probably be spending the rest of our lives hiding in the shadows.

Angry, because of Robin. What kind of friend was she to laugh at my pain like that?! I couldn't even look her in the eyes anymore. I feared that she would tell Beval.

I didn't say a word to her that whole night. She tried to talk to me a couple of times, but I ignored her. I didn't have anything to say to her.

As I was deep in my thoughts, suddenly, I felt somebody touch my arm. It was Beval. I jumped a little when I realized that it was him.

"You good? You were staring into space" he stated.

"Don't touch me, please" I blurted out, scooting away from Beval. He gave me a bewildered look.

"Sorry" he replied in confusion.

I looked away from him, trying not to blush.

"You know, you have been acting strange lately" he stated with seriousness.

"Huh?" I asked as I looked back at him.

"You have been acting strange around me for months. What is wrong?"

I didn't say anything, I just looked down and played with my fingers. That's when he leaned over to look at my face. I looked up. His face was filled with concern.

"Come on, tell me what's going on with you. You can tell me anything" he said in a friendly tone.

I bit my lip.

"Gaia, you don't have to be shy, it's just me."

"That's the thing Beval, I'm shy because it's you."

"Huh?" he replied, giving me a confused look.

"Nothing, don't worry about it, I am perfectly fine. Really, I am" I quickly said, forming a fake smile.

Beval just furrowed his eyebrows and nodded his head.

"Okay then."

"Sorry I had you worried" I apologized.