14 - Airplane

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, only the plot. Thank you for reading, please enjoy the chapter, and follow me if you want to hear about all the weird/crappy/exciting stuff that goes on in my life, because I post a lot of it on my profile. 
Also, there's stuff in this chapter about cab's and to be honest I don't know how some of that sh*t works so just roll with it.
Love you all!

---

"Gate C13 for New York is now boarding, once again, gate C13 for New York is now boarding."

When the announcement ended, I unplugged my phone from the charger and grabbed my backpack. As I stood up from my seat, I double checked my boarding pass. Yep, boarding group A. My pass said I was number 26, so I walked forward to where the signs pointed me.

We boarded quickly, and I easily scored as seat near the middle of the plane. The back is horrible for obvious reasons, and I just didn't like being near the front. Once I had placed my small backpack underneath the seat in front of me, I settled into my window seat. As I buckled up, I watched the people boarding the plane. There was a group of what looked to be business-people, a few men and a woman, as well as a family with two children. A bunch of people flying alone took up the rest of the seats in the front, and a few couples, around my age, sat down around me.

I continued watching them board, sometimes lingering on certain people yet only for a few seconds. I quickly got bored, and looked out the window at the employees preparing the plane adjacent to ours.

"Umm, is this seat taken?"

I looked up at a boy who looked to be my age, and shook my head. "All yours."

"Awesome," he replied as he sat down. I watched him from out of the corner of my eye, taking in the fact that he was particularly handsome, and he seemed to be polite, if a bit shy.

We kept out of each other's way, as one does when seated next to a stranger, and for whatever reason, no one took up the aisle seat of our row. We quickly boarded the last of the passengers, and were soon taking off. I was completely relaxed, as I'd done this hundred of times, going to visit my family so often. I snuck a quick glance at the stranger to my left, and he seemed to be... stressed.

"Umm, are you okay..."

"Percy."

"Right, I'm Annabeth." We shook hands. "Anyway, are you alright, Percy?"

"Not really," he laughed nervously. "I've never been a big fan of flying, but I don't particularly like the idea of driving from San Francisco to Long Island." He laughed nervously again.

"If it helps, my dad taught me a trick so I didn't freak out my first few times flying. He says if you pretend you're on a roller coaster, it's more fun than freaky," I told him.

He closed his eyes for a minute, and I watched his features gradually soften as he relaxed. Soon, we were flying smoothly above San Francisco.

He opened his eyes, and exhaled with relief. "Thanks," he said as he turned to me. "Your dad was right."

"No problem. And don't ever let him hear you say that, his ego will swell to the size of the Hindenburg," I replied, facing forwards in my seat again to adjust my laptop.

"Are you implying that I might have the opportunity to meet your father in the future?"

I cast him a sideways look, and a small smirk. "I've only just met you, so don't get your hopes up. Let's see how well this flight goes, first."

With a small grin from him, we settled into our seats, and into a comfortable silence, for a few hours.

---