2 - Scared

Oh my god... okay, so as you saw last chapter, there was a thing saying that you should skip ahead, and that the first few chapters were kinda bad... which, as I've fond through re-reading them, is very true. Please, please skip ahead. The later ones are a lot better, so I'm begging you to stick around. I think they start improving around chapter 13, although chapters 9-12 is a four-part story, which isn't half bad. So, yeah, please skip ahead!

Disclaimer: This all belongs to the wonderfully evil Rick Riordan, although I own the plot. If you enjoy the chapter, please, don't hesitate to comment! Thank you for reading, my lovelies!

----

A little bit of backstory first: Percy and I have a game where we hide around the apartment and try to scare each other. It started by accident, when we'd startle each other by walking out of room or something, and it'd make us both jump. We've been kinda on edge ever since -- since the Giant War ended. Anyway, it soon turned into a game. I learned not to enter any rooms or turn any corners without checking first. I know Percy seems like he'd be terrible at this game, but he's much better than me. How, I have no idea.

It was a Friday, and Percy had just gotten back from his job in New Rome. While we attend college and I finish designing Olympus, Percy works at a local cafe in the city. He takes the early morning shift, so he can come home and we can spend the rest of the day together,

I was looking for Percy, to ask him a question, when I realized he was in the bathroom. Perfect.

I slid under the bed, hoping to scare him. I tried to stifle my giggles, not wanting him to hear me.

I listened for when he moved around, and I heard the door handle shake. Percy came out of the bathroom, and when he realized he couldn't hear me doing stuff around the apartment, he got this excited look on his face. He rubbed his hands together evilly, and ran down the hallway. Confused as to what he was doing, I slid closer to the edge of the bed. I could hear him opening the closet door. Wait...

He opened the closet and stepped inside, smiling still. I suddenly understood what was happening. He was trying to scare me! Oh, Seaweed Brain. 

I giggled and slid out from under the bed completely. Percy had closed the closet door by then, and I assumed he couldn't hear me, so I rattled the door's handle. I could hear him inhale sharply. Well, at least I succeeded in scaring him, I thought.

I opened the door all the way, and the dork was just standing there with his eyes squeezed shut. 

I smiled. "Hey, Seaweed Brain."

He opened his eyes slowly, and then looked around, confused. "Wise Girl..?"

"Yup," I chuckled. "I was trying to scare you! Why'd you have to ruin it?"

He grinned and stepped out of the closet. "Why, I have a knack for ruining things, Owl Head. Besides, you wouldn't have scared me. I'm the savior of Olympus!" He smirked, like he'd won an argument.

I busted out laughing. "The savior... of Olympus who... has been scared more times... than I can count, by his girlfriend, in their apartment!" I choked out, my hands on my knees for support.

His smirk stayed. "What if I told you... no, never mind..."

My laughter came to a sharp halt. "What, Percy, what is it? You know I hate when people withhold information from me!"

He smirk grew even wider, and he faked an eye roll. "Fine. What if I told you... that I faked being scared all those times, just to make you happy?"

I stared at him, but shook my head. "You're lying. There's no way..."

He nodded. "It's true." The whispered words killed me. No, he must be lying... 

Promptly, my shocked facial expression was broken by a smile. He thought he had won. In a way, he had, but I had won what was most important. 

"You did that for me?"

Percy looked surprised at the question, as he'd probably been expecting something very different. He then nodded, slowly, hesitantly.

I grinned at his answer. I walked up to him, and wrapped my arms around his neck. Hugging him tight, I kissed his cheek. When I pulled back, he was smiling softly.

"What was that for?" he asked, a hint of confusion in his voice.

I smiled even wider. "I don't think anyone's ever done something so nice for me. You faked being scared so I'd be happy?"

He nodded again. "All I've ever wanted was for you to be happy," he answered. Then he lowered his voice down to a whisper, and added: "Plus, it's kinda scary when you're angry."

I chuckled, and pulled him to the couch. We spent the rest of the day (and night) binge watching "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on Netflix, and trying not to fall asleep on the other person.