39 - Monday (AU) (Sneak peak??)

Disclaimer: Any recognizable characters, places, etc. etc. belong to Rick Riordan. I only own the plot.

So, you guys. This is the first chapter of a high school au that was meant to be a whole plotted story which I began to write like a year ago. I cannot believe my writing was so terrible a year ago but I edited it a bit so it shouldn't be too bad. If you really love this chapter and want to see where the story goes, I could be cajoled into continuing and publishing it so just... let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy!

---

Annabeth

♪Uptown girl, you know I can't afford to buy her pearls...♪

I groaned as the obnoxiously good song that played from my phone woke me up. "Ugh," I whispered to myself, "It's Monday, isn't it?" I rolled over and hit the button to shut it off, then flopped back down into the comfort of my bed.

Come on, Annabeth. Time to get up. You can do this. You're a strong, independent woman who needs to get her ass out of bed, I thought, trying to rouse myself.

With another groan, I threw the covers off and walked over to my closet.

My room, grey walls and wooden book shelves, was basked in morning light. The closet door, as always, was a pain to open, because if you didn't use enough force, it wouldn't move, but if you used too much, it would slam into the wall and wake up Helen. Although our relationship had definitely improved over the years, she was still cranky when she woke up before seven thirty.

The closet door nearly betrayed me on that already disappointing Monday (if only because it was a Monday), but I caught it just before it could wreak havoc on my morning.

I quickly decided on a pair of dark-wash jeggings and a dark green sweatshirt, with a white tank top underneath. I skipped out on making my bed, and stopped at my desk, making sure to kiss my fingers and touch them to the drawing of an olive tree that sat there. It was something my mother had drawn just before she died.

Sentimentality, you understand.

I ran downstairs quietly, trying not to make much noise on the creaky floorboards. It only took me a few minutes to make a bagel for breakfast, and by the time I sat down with my food, Matthew was already awake and watching TV as he waited for his Eggo's to finish toasting.

I finished my breakfast and went back upstairs, to wake Bobby. Helen was walking out of her room as I opened the twin's door. I waved at her and she smiled back.

Both of the boys were dressed and eating when I came back down stairs from brushing my teeth, so I grabbed my keys, a grey beanie, my winter coat, and said my goodbyes.

Right before I shut the door, Matthew shouted "Annabeth! Wait!" I cringed at the volume, breaking the easy quiet of the early morning, and stepped back inside.

"Yeah, Matthew?"

"Are you gonna get us chocolate today?" he asked hopefully.

I smiled. "Yeah, buddy, I'm gonna get you guys chocolate today. Now be good for Helen, okay?" They nodded. "Bye, boys."

We didn't live too far from the school, so I walked. It was chilly, but I didn't mind the cold. I passed energetic elementary schoolers being herded into the car by their mothers, employees still tired from yesterday's shift sigh as they walked into work, teenagers blasting music from their cars on the way to school. A morning just like any other.

School started at 8 AM, so I always arrived 20 minutes early. I spent those 20 minutes in the library, exchanging finished books for unread ones and talking to the librarian, Ms. Moore. Or Stevie, as I had taken to calling her. She was fresh out of college and liked books, so she made for good company.