3 - Bad Timing

This chapter isn't edited very well, so sorry for any confusion or inconvenience. I was feeling a bit lazy today. Disclaimer: Only the plot belongs to me, and everything else belongs to Rick Riordan, the wonderfully evil author of that one book series. Hope you enjoy the chapter, and thanks for reading!
Also, because it doesn't make sense, let's say they're at the beach near Camp Jupiter and New Rome, where they go to college, during a three day weekend. They go to CHB in the summer, though.

----

Percy and Annabeth were walking down the beach holding hands, watching the waves roll in. They weren't talking, just commenting on something every now and then, like the fisherman hand knotting his net. 

The weather was supposed to be great that day, so the couple was taking advantage of it. They'd went to lunch, eating their food on the patio, and had then spent a good four hours at the pier, playing games and riding every ride at least twice.

As they gazed over the ocean, calmed by the tranquil sound of the water, the demigods noticed clouds rolling in. Annabeth stopped, looking at the gray mass in the sky.

"Uh oh," she frowned. "Those look like cumulonimbus clouds."

"Which means?"

"Storm clouds, silly. I'd say they're pretty far off, though. We've still got a good ten minutes, maybe more."

So, they continued walking, glancing at the clouds every now in then. Suddenly, they heard thunder.

Percy's head whipped over to the apparent storm. There was a flash of light in the distance, followed shortly (and too shortly, for Annabeth's liking) by a loud rumbling.

Percy looked at Annabeth with a glint in his eye, smiling slightly. That meant he was about to make a joke.

"Well," he said. "Bad time to be the tallest thing on the beach right now."

Annabeth looked her boyfriend up and down, and took a step back from him.

"Well, I'm not the tallest thing on the beach right now, so..." she said.

Percy's mouth dropped open with a gasp, yet Annabeth could see that he was trying so hard to hold back a smile.

She turned and ran back the way they had come, and although it took him a second, he ran after her, laughing the whole way. He eventually caught up, but only because "You're legs are so long, and that's the whole reason you'll be struck by lightning anyway, so I win. Ha."

By the time they got back to the pier, the storm was coming in faster than they thought it would, so they ran back to their hotel. Percy made popcorn for the both of them, while Annabeth hunted for candy (blue for Percy, whatever for her), and they settled on a movie together.

When Finding Dory was over (Percy had insisted they watch it, because it had just come out and "come on, we're at the beach!"), Annabeth chuckled at the sleeping boy, who was spread across the entirety of the couch. She went to bedroom and came back with a blanket, one that Percy's mom made for him when she was with Smelly Gabe. He would bring it on every trip, and even to camp during the summer. Annabeth threw it over him gently, not wanting him to wake up, and made herself a bed of pillows on the floor. 

When she woke up the next morning, Percy was in the kitchen making waffles (yes, they were blue), while humming the tune of "Rubber Duckie" from Sesame Street. Don't ask. 

They ate breakfast, and started to watch Annabeth's movie choice, which was the new "Ghostbusters." It was good, but the demigod's ADHD was making Percy feel... awake, so he asked Annabeth if she wanted to finish the movie later and go do something, to which she replied with "Thank the gods, I thought you'd never ask."

They paused the movie, put on clothes that were appropriate for being in public, and were just waiting for Percy to finish tying his shoelace when they saw a flash of light come from outside, followed by a deep rumbling.

"Ugh," Annabeth groaned. "Bad-"

"Timing."

"Hey, that was actually pretty good timing!"

"I know, right!?"