I raised my head at that and looked at him clearly, tossing my hair out of my eyes.

His face tensed when I simply looked at him.

"I'm not your bitch, and I'm not here because I have to be," I told him softly, again refusing to break eye contact. "I'm your partner, your life mate, and I'm here because I love you. I'm here because right now I'm completely aware that you're not yourself. You're suffering terribly... but even if I can't do much, I'm not leaving you to deal with this alone."

"Then let me fuck you," he purred, raising a challenging eyebrow. "You want to help? Get me the fuck off, then. It's torture. I've been hard for so long its hurting. Make me go soft if you wanna--"

"Baby," I said, putting force into my tone, force that made his jaw snap shut. "I love you, and if I touch you like that while you're like this... it'd be like... taking advantage of you under the influence of alcohol. You're not in conscious control of your own actions right now."

"I am! So fuck me!" he snarled, straining against his bonds. "Otherwise I'll break your ne--"

He immediately stopped, mouth working as if he were winded, and then he stared at me with horror in his eyes as what he'd just been about to say fully registered. I swallowed hard, curled into the smallest little ball I'd ever been in, watching him as a series of emotions battled behind his eyes, fighting a war I couldn't even fathom.

"I am so sorry," he heaved, panting so quick I was surprised he hadn't fainted from the sheer hyperventilation. "Forgive me... I... I would never... I couldn't... why am I...? Beloved, I--"

"It's not you, I know that," I whispered, and he stared at me, shaken. "It's not the real you. It's your wolf instincts and your body driving you to say things you don't mean. I understand and I do not for a second believe that you'd hurt me, even if you get free. I have full trust in you."

"Don't," he wheezed, squeezing his eyes shut and making a pained face; he set his head back against the wall, fighting for air, teeth clenched, spitting words out through a locked jaw. "I... my body... it's happening, I can feel it. The moon is singing... I can hear it."

I furrowed my brows.

The moon was singing? The hell did that mean?

"Can hear what?" I asked, careful. "The moon can't sing, Babe--"

"It's a werewolf thing," he gagged, choking on something; I gasped, horrified, when he vomited all over himself and lurched to my feet.

"Oh, oh, hang on," I cried, puttering around for my stockings. "Hang on, I'll--"

"Stay back!" he spit out, and I froze, twisting to look at him through my hair when a crunch filled the room. I blinked, then blinked again, eyes widening when he let out a holler. He arched, this time not in an attempt to get free... and my heart plummeted as his body started changing.

Right before my eyes, he began to shift.

The full moon. The full moon was here.

I snapped my head around to look at the time, hair standing on end.

Seven in the evening.

The sun had finally gone down.

I turned back around as if I were underwater, meeting the eyes that looked at me, body expanding, slavering mouth open wide, reveling extending teeth...

"Run," he begged, slurring his words. "Run, my love... run, get out of here--"

"I couldn't even if I wanted to," I said in a state of stunned semi-calm, semi-panic. "The wall blends with the door and the keypad needs a code that I don't know."