Chapter 12) Burning

The sun was descending when Phun made his way back to his home. It had been a long and tiring day. The worry that lightly bubbled under his skin had churned into a dark foreboding feeling.

The Alpha rubbed at his eyes, releasing a long sigh. Dropping his hands to dangle at his side, he gazed up at the sky above. A slight buzzing pain twinged behind his eyes. His gut churned. With another suffering sigh Phun's eyes closed and he rubbed at the bridge of his nose.

A loud shout caught his attention. Twisting his head around Phun spotted Win rushing toward him. Per followed a few paces behind. The younger wolf's shoulders were pulled tight. He looked shaken.

"What happen," Phun asked, one hand lightly grabbing Win's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him.

The boy stammered, starting and stopping. Per had finally caught up and pulled to a stop in front of them. He bent at the waist heaving. He lifted one hand up, silently asking for them to wait while he tried to breath. Win turned to the mage, a hand going to his back and rubbing circles into it. Phun glanced between the two eyebrows pinched.

The mage's eyes shifted to look up at Phun, head tilting up awkwardly. "Father," he gasped.

Win stilled. Slowly, wide frightened eyes turned to met Phun's.

"My father was here," the boy said, his voice lacking any emotion.

Phun opened his mouth to demand what had happened when a howl filled the air. The Alpha twisted around, eyes narrowing as he gazed toward the forest. Win glanced at Per, who had straightened, before coping Phun. The mage, confused, gazed around. All wolves around them were staring at the forest.

Another howl and all color drained from Win's face.

Phun whipped around, facing Win. "Get those unable to fight down below." His expression was pulled tight, voice sharp and filled with authority. The Alpha swiveled away and shifted. He lifted his snout to the air; he howled loud and sharp. The wolves around them scattered. Some shifting while others darted away. The Alpha glanced back at Win, eyes shimmering with a command. The boy nodded.

He turned to Per. "We must go," he stated flatly, fear dancing in his eyes. Grabbing Per's wrist he dragged the mage with him.

"What's going on, Win?"

The wolf glanced at him as he dragged Per toward the Alpha's house. "Invaders," was all he said. Win released Per's wrist as he headed toward a door hidden behind bushes. It was positioned at the base of the mountain off the side. Per hadn't noticed it before. The boy pushed the bushes to the side and stepped right up to the door. He briefly glanced at Per, giving him a grave smile.

"Something you should recognize."

Per's eyes narrowed in confusion as Win turned back to the door. The mage stepped closer, eyes scrutinizing the door. That's when he saw it. Symbols were crudely etched into the door. Symbols Per knew well. He had used them once before when he was younger and wanted to prank his brother by locking him out of their house. It hadn't worked, Shin was more skilled than Per at the time and knew how to break the lock.

"How did you get this," the mage asked. His eyes scanned the symbols. They were correct, perfectly placed where they should have been.

"Mari," Win stated as he lifted his hand. He placed the tips of his fingers on each symbol mumbling the name of each symbol under his breath. Once he was done a shudder could be heard and the door creaked open.

Per was shocked. He couldn't understand how a wolf was able to do a spell. Granted it was a simple spell, one every mage child learned at some point. But that's beside the point. A wolf was not a mage. So how could it be possible? And how did Mari even learn of it. It was so perfectly written, so accurately. He was going to have to talk to Mari.