Chapter 1) A Bad Feeling

Wolfs were known to be a peaceful race. They stuck to their own kind, never causing trouble for the other races. All they wanted was to live their lives and be left alone but the mages wouldn't hear of it. Whether it was out of fear or a false superior attitude the mages sought the end of all wolf kind. The only thing the wolfs could do was to stand up to the prosecution the mages forced upon them and protect their own kind. A bloody war was fought for five long years before a peace treaty was signed. That was fifty years ago and the wolfs are still unwelcomed in mage societies. The country of Rohanna was split in half, the wolfs calling the north home and mages the south.

Per stood in the back of the courtroom watching as the room roared. The Council had called a trail for a wolf that had wandered into Ivorian, the capital of mage society. The poor thing hadn't done a thing wrong but the mages within the large courtroom sought her blood. Per's eyes closed as one of the younger Council members fought against the blood lust seeping through the room. But his pleas fell on deaf ears. Per knew the girl was going to die. It was a common practice for any wolf that entered mage society. Even with the war being over the hate brewing within the mages still lingered. Their pride wouldn't allow any sort of union between the two races.

His eyes slid open as a deep, gruff voice shouted through the room, silencing all conversations. Per eyed the older man shrouded in a black cloak. Georffy was the eldest of the Council. His hate for the wolfs dated back to when the war was in full swing. The old man had lost many of his family members to the bloody war. He stared down at the woman cowering at his feet. Dark chains surrounded her neck and bounding her hands behind her back. She whimpered as the old man spat at her and declared death. The room cheered with glee. They chanted burn, burn, burn. An awful and painful execution.

Per sighed and looked away. Burning was chosen as the preferred method nine times out of ten. It provided the city with entertainment. Mages of all ages and gender flocked to the metal rod that sat in front of the court house, cheering and yelling crude words at the wolf. Disgust left a bitter tasted on his tongue. As a mage, it sickened him that his own people found enjoyment out of death. The wolfs never deserved such fates.

The hairs on his neck stood up, a tingling feeling slid down his spine. He twisted around scanning the crowd. He'd swear someone was watching him. All eyes were on the female wolf as a guard hauled her up by the chain around her neck. The poor thing moaned as the metal dug into her skin. No one was watching Per. At least no one he could see. He turned his attention back to the wolf. She tried to fight against her captures, who just laughed at her pathetic attempts. That chilling feeling slid down his spine again. Per scanned the roaring crowd and the smug faces of the Council. The only member that looked pained was Kaname, the youngest member of the Council, and a friend of the family. He avoid any eye contact with the man though. No one knew they were friends and Per and his brother, Shin, wanted to keep it that way. He spotted no one looking his way. Per shivered as he turned away and exited the court room.

Once outside the sun sent warm shivers down his cold skin. You would think with all those bodies inside the court room mashing together, it would be hot and sweaty but instead it was cold and comfortable. The temperature most likely being controlled by an Aero-Sosa mage, someone who could manipulate the air and wind, like Per. Although, he didn't want to toot his own horn, but Per didn't just manipulate the wind, nope, the air and wind were his friends. It was very much a part of him, far closer and more powerful than any other mages.

He looked back at the court room as the cold wind burst out as a few on-lookers left. They didn't acknowledge Per. Didn't even look his way. Not that he expected them to. Shin and Per kept to themselves. Any sort of play Per might find for the day was kept outside the home. He never let anyone get close. The risk was too high. He just couldn't let anyone be in the position of putting his family in danger. And they were already risking everything being in Ivorian. Per and Shin were hiding something from the Council. If the hateful rulers ever figured out what they were hiding there was no doubt in Per's mind that they all would be put to death. Just like that poor wolf about to burn at the stake. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.