Chapter 14) Win

Win stared off into the nothingness in front of him. He had been locked in this room the moment his father dragged him onto the pack territory. Roughly shoved inside and the door slammed in his face. Once his eyes adjusted to the absolute darkness he could see how bleak his prison was. There were no windows or furnishings, nothing decorating the walls. No sounds or another soul. Nothing. Just darkness.

He had collapsed into a heap up against the furthest wall. A whimper a breath against his dry lips. His right arm burned and leaked blood. It soaked his clothes and the ground where he laid.

Huffing a broken sigh, Win forced himself into a sitting position. He bent his knees close to his body, arm laying limp next to him. His eyes stared up at the empty celling, head lolling against the wall.

His mind drifted off toward his pack. Was Phun and Noh okay? What about Mick and Pang? They had to be fine. Those two weren't fighters. They wouldn't have been in the middle of it.

But the same could have been said about him. And look what he had done. Willingly walked into the thick of the battle. He didn't have a choice though. He couldn't have rested knowing Per was out there.

Oh Gods, Per.

A shudder racked the boy's body. Per. It was amazing how much the mage had come to mean to him in such a short time. He felt things he never thought he'd get to experience. He actually saw a future full of warmth.

Win's eyes slid closed. Per, please be safe.

Time passed slowly. How long has he been locked up? His numb mind was unable to grasp the concept of time. All he knew was that it was long enough for the loss of blood to affect him. Wolves were known for having a quick healing ability, however, too much blood loss would significantly slow it down. And Win had lost enough blood long ago.

His body had weakened, eyes heavy. The room dipped and twisted with every difficult breath he took. How much longer would he have to endure until his regeneration abilities kicked in? Probably longer than most wolves; a lovely quality being a runt had.

Win shifted his body, pulling his knees in closer and wrapping his uninjured arm around them. His tongue slid across his lips, trying to moisten them despite his mouth being just as dry. He cringed at the bitter metallic taste tinging his taste buds. Another sigh escaped as he dropped his head against his knees, shifting his head to stare down at his injured hand. Blood oozed down slowly.

There was a thump against the door before the door creaked open. Win didn't move, kept his eyes focused on a drop of blood making its way down his arm. Footsteps patted closer to him until they stopped in front of him. The tips of leather clad feet stood at the edge up of his vision. The blood soaking the floor sloshed around the shoes.

The owner of those now red tinged feet knelt down. "Oh dear," a honeyed voice, Win knew to well, began. "You're wounded. How terrible."

Win had heard that tone of voice many times before. It was always the calm before the storm.

His father took hold of his arm right below the wound. "I'm glad we are together again." His fingers slid up, squeezing slightly. Blood oozed.

The boy's body tensed, eyes sliding closed.

"I've missed you so much. But," his index finger poked into the wound, "by the looks of things you hadn't missed me at all. Did that pathetic excuse of an Alpha treat you well?"

Win's father dug two more fingers into the wound. His head tilting to the side as more blood gushed out and over his hand. A slow smile tugging at his lips. Win bite his bottom lip, preventing the whimper bubbling from escaping.