Chapter 4) Mages

Phun stood outside the cells, studying the three mages locked inside. The youngest of the two males stood in front of the other two. A glare etched into his dirty face. His stance clearly said 'don't go near them'. The other two held onto each other tightly. The child buried her head against the man's neck. She trembled within his hold. The father, at least Phun assumed he was the father by his protective hold and strong look in his eyes, studied the Alpha closely.

The three looked terrible. Exhaustion was obvious. The smell that wafted from them was disgusting and stung Phun's nose; a mixture of blood, sweat, and burnt flesh. It was clear to him that the mages had been through hell. What had forced the mages to travel wolf territory? Whatever it was must have been terrible for them to put themselves in such a state.

He turned to one of the guards. "Lucas, will you bring Mari here and ask Win to prepare some food?" Lucas, a tall lean wolf, bowed then left to do as ordered. The Alpha faced the mages again.

"What are your names," he asked looking each of the two men in the eye.

The mage standing in front didn't say anything. His glare faltered slightly as his mouth started to open. But he clamped it shut, crushing his lips into a thin line. Phun could tell the mage was just acting tough. Exhaustion had taken it's toll. Deep tired lines were etched across his pale face. Dirt and dried blood smeared his features and his hair was knotted and greasy. His clothes were even worse. Blood soaked his arm and side. A burned gash stung painfully on his arm. A bright red hand print surrounded the wound.

The older mage adjusted his hold on his daughter. "I'm Shin," he stated evenly. "This is Lilly, my daughter and he," Shin nodded toward the other man. "Is my brother, Per."

Considering how his brother looked, Shin seemed to have faired far better. He had dirt and sweat smeared all over. His hair was flatter, skin darker. Exhaustion was clear though, so was hunger.

"I'm Phun the Alpha of the Lunar Melody pack. This," Phun gestured toward his Beta, "is Ohm, my Beta."

The Beta grinned and waved his fingers at the mages. Per's eyes narrowed as he scowled at the Beta. Shin kept his eyes trained on him. Something about the way the elder mage studied Phun, made him uneasy. Was he waiting for his chance to escape? Though, the Alpha had to admit it wouldn't be the smartest move. Their abilities were sealed, thanks to the cuff, and they were right in the middle of a pack of wolves. Lunar Melody wasn't the biggest nor strongest pack but they would be formidable to a couple of mages.

The door at the top of the stairs opened pulling four sets of eyes toward it. Phun, expecting to see Mari was surprised to see Noh stepping down. He softly smiled as his mate strolled toward him. He reached out a hand and lightly creased down Noh's arm to his hand, squeezing it. His mate smiled, returning his touch.

Turning back to the mages Phun asked, "Why are you here?"

Noh moved away from Phun to lean against the wall across from the cells. Ohm joined him. He whispered into his ear, explaining what had happened before he arrived.

"You brought us here," Per stated, eyebrows raising.

Ohm snickered under his breath. Noh, with the back of his hand, slapped the Beta across his chest. Phun looked at him from the corner of his eye. The Beta cleared his throat and looked away.

"Let me rephrase. Why are mages in wolf territory?" He forced a harsh tone into his voice.

Per shrugged, arms crossing. "Passing through." Phun's eyes narrowed, twitching to stare at Shin.

"We're trying to make it to the border up north. Nothing more than that," Shin added.

They were heading toward the border? Wouldn't it have been easier and quicker if they had used the southern border? It's closer and a lot less dangerous. Unless, Phun's eyes darted to the wound on Per's arm, they weren't safe in the south. What exactly were they running from?