Chapter 10) A Change

After returning to the healer's house Per quietly took a seat on the edge of his bed. His eyes roamed over the small lamp casting the only source of light in the large room, past his brother's steady gaze, to land on a small figure curled close to Shin's side. Lilly's soft snores filled the quiet space. Per's eyes lingered on the girl, focusing on the rise and fall of her chest. Slowly, he lifted he's eyes to meet his brother's.

"How is she," he asked voice quiet and soft.

Shin glanced down and rested a gentle hand on the sleeping form. His brows pinched in worry. "Thankfully, she's sleeping now." The corner of his lips turned down as he released a heavy sigh.

His voice was strained and pained as he said, "if Mari wasn't here I... I wouldn't even know how to sooth her."

When Pang and Shin arrived after dinner the healer was sitting at a table reading a book. As they entered she looked up and quickly moved into action taking the child from Pang. Immediately the healer knew what to do. After laying Lilly on the bed she moved to a shelf and pulled out a small bottle full of milky white liquid. Sitting carefully next to the child she helped the girl drink. The effects were quick. Lilly's eyes grew heavy and she fell into a peaceful sleep.

"This is the best we can do tonight," Mari had told them. "The worst will come tomorrow. I suggest the both of you get some rest as well. It'll be a long day."

Shin knew what was going to happen. His daughter was going to be in a lot of pain. Too much pain. And it made his heart ache. He was powerless, unable to sooth her in any way. He felt useless, like a failure.

Per reached across the small gap between the two beds to lay a comforting hand on Shin's shoulder. Looking away from his daughter he turned to gaze ahead of him. His brows wrinkling.

"I can't help her," his voice broke. "I don't even know how. Maybe if," his eyes flicked to Per's before resting on Lilly again, "Marin was here. She'd know what to do but I... I don't even understand what's happening inside of her." The mage squeezed his eyes closed, pain clear in his face. His voice barley a whisper, "she was in so much pain. What kind of father am I? I can't even help when she needs me the most."

Per's fingers tightened against his brother's shoulder, trying to give any sort of comfort. Shin was a dedicated father, doing everything he could to keep his daughter happy. Dotting on her and spoiling her rotten. So not being able to physically help his daughter distressed him and Per hated seeing how much Shin beat himself up.

"You're doing exactly what you should, being there for her. Like you always are. Don't cut yourself short, Shin, you're an amazing father and Lilly loves you. Adores you more than the moon and stars."

Shin looked up meeting his brother's eyes. Per gave him a reassuring smile, one Shin returned. The younger mage nodded before bopping his brother on the top of his head. Shin chuckled, eyes gazing down at his daughter. Gently he lifted his hand from her back to softly brush strains of hair from her face. They fell into an easy silence as he watched his daughter sleep.

Squeaking filled the air as Per readjusted himself on his bed. Shin lifted his eyes toward his brother. His back was resting against the top of the bed, arms resting in his lap, legs stretched out. He picked at his fingers. Glancing up at his brother's face Shin noticed how pensive he looked. Per's eyes were trained on his hands, lips pressed into a thin line. His brows would squish together then smooth out, to repeat again.

"What's wrong," Shin asked drawing his brother out of his thoughts.

Per glanced at his brother before turning his gaze to the front of him. "It's nothing," he lied in a somber tone.