Chapter 6) Meeting

The first thing Per noticed after waking up was the odd weight near his shoulder. The bed squeaked as it dipped and shifted. He thought, at first, it was either Lilly or Shin but when a soft whisper grazed his cheek he knew other wise. The voice was light and boyish with a slight squeak. It wasn't unpleasant, in fact, Per found himself turning his head toward the whisper. The second thing Per noticed was how dry his mouth was and the slight throb in his arm. His tongue was glued to the top of his palette, a taste of rotten onions prickled his taste buds. He scrunched up his face and opened his mouth as wide as he could. His tongue made a Velcro like feeling as he ripped it from the top of his mouth.

The pain pulsing through his arm had dulled a bit to where he barley felt it. His attention was fully turned to a soft touch tugging at the bandaged. A hiss escaped his dry lips as the fabric dug into his arm. The weight shifted and the touch disappeared. Per's eyes slid open. Leaning over him was a small face with dark hair. His eyebrows meshed together. He didn't remember seeing the boy last night. Granted, he hasn't seen many wolves in his brief rush from the cell to the healer's house.

The boy's soft brown eyes widened and he quickly pulled away. Per sat up quickly. The room swam and his right hand went to the side of his head. He groaned quietly. Once he was able to focus he saw the boy hiding behind the end of the bed. His dark hair poked out at the side. Per titled to the side trying to get a better look at the boy.

"Excuse me," Per softly called. The boy peeked one eye out, staring up at him. Slim, short fingers gripped the wooden frame, the nails bitten low. The mage smiled as a pale pink tainted the other's cheek. He held out his hand gently, wanting to help the boy up. But the boy didn't budge. He kept his eyes trained on the hand in front of him. The slightly long fingers flexed. The boy flinched and hid behind the bed once again. Per chuckled at the boy's odd antics. "I wont hurt you," he softly told the boy sliding off the bed to one knee. "I promise."

Once again the boy peeked one eye around the end of the bed. Per gave the boy a gentle smile, trying to ease his obvious nerves. That one soft brown eye studied Per, the pink darkening. When that eye trailed his face, lingering on his lips, Per felt something he hadn't really felt before, self-conscious. His smile slowly dropped, eyebrows squashing together. Lucky for him, the boy's eye moved away from his lips to slide down his arm. As soon the boy spotted the wound he squeaked, jumping up and rushing toward the table in the back.

Confused by the boy's odd, or more odd, behavior Per glanced down at his arm. Blood had soaked the bandaged and was running down his arm. "Ah," was all he could say.

The boy raced back to his side with a tray, holding all the stuff the healer had used the previous night, including that disgusting greenish-brown liquid, in his hands. Per winced at the liquid. He really didn't want to drink it again. The boy sat the tray down then turned to face Per.

This time he was able to get a full view of the boy's face. His dark hair was cut short and messy around his face. That one soft brown eye had a pair just as soft with a slant to them. Per wondered if the boy laughed would his eyes grow smaller? He made a mental note to get an answer to that later. But at that moment those eyes darted around the room. The boy's bottom lip was pulled between his teeth. Per watched the motion, slightly fascinated. When the lip popped out and the boy's eyes focused on Per, he forced his eyes up, meeting the boy's. The next minute the mage was pushed onto the bed and the unopened jar of disgusting medicine held under his nose.

The mage grimaced and shook his head. He knew he was being childish but that liquid was gross. The boy gave him a look before unscrewing the lid and forcing it into his hand. Per huffed. The other crossed his arms and tapped his foot. He never said anything but he didn't have to, Per knew he was waiting for him to drink. Rolling his eyes, he downed the jar in one swallow. Yep, it was just as disgusting as he remembered. The mage looked up at the boy, holding the jar out for him.