"I heard you have cancer," he said, pulling back and looking up at her. "You'd better kick its ass-"

"--Boy--!" 

"--butt," Horst reiterated, flinching at his father's tone. "Kick it's butt."

"I will honey," she said, pushing him back and giving him a look up and down. "Jesus, you're one hell of a kid, aren't you? I swear, Aerin's got himself a little fantasy life going on over here."

"Lulu, what the hell is going on here?" her brother whispered, and I glanced at him to see that his eyes were bugging out of his skull as he ogled Horst's legs, and his horns, and his ears; he dropped his stuff and backed away, frightened. "What the hell is that thing?!"

"Excuse me, asshole?" Horst growled, eyes turning yellow. "I'm not a thing you stupid piece of--"

"Kip, this is Horst," Louise said, turning to look at him; as she spoke, she set a protective arm around the fuming hybrid and turned them to face her brother. "We have a lot we need to talk about, you and I... it's gonna come as a shock, but my life after this is going to be very different."

"What do you mean?!" he asked, looking at all of us in fear. "What the hell is this, Louise?! I thought we were heading to some sort of hospital for a new type of treatment, but this is--who the hell are these people?! Their eyes... they're all fucking glowing!"

I frowned and moved down the steps, one at a time, and stopped beside Horst, taking a second to set a hand on the pissed satyr's bare arm. 

He glanced down at me and I smiled a little, trying to offer him reassurance; then I moved in front of him and clasped my hands behind me, taking one step, two steps, three steps forward, and then another four until I was standing right in front of the seventeen-year-old. 

He looked at me with actual fear in his eyes, taking in my ridiculously long hair which was now whiter than any bone, taking in my pale eyelashes and eyebrows. 

I could see him thinking so, I did what came natural and gave him a closed-lipped smile.

A genuinely friendly one.

"Hi. I'm Aerin," I said, holding out my hand. "I'm one of your sister's secret therapy clients."

He blinked, staring at my stubby little fingers, then back at my face.

"So?" he asked, obviously confused. "W-why does that matter?"

"Because I'm a vampire, kiddo," I said softly, then gestured behind me and added, "and these people you see all around you are werewolves."

"You're a vampire?" he asked, staring at me in disbelief. "Werewolves? Bullshit. You're crazy."

"I'm not," I said gently, shaking my head. "In fact, the reason you're here is because we have a shot at saving your sister from her cancer. She'll never have another relapse again, and in the process of saving her you'll get to meet every single one of us. If it doesn't work... we're going to do our absolute best to make sure that you live a full life in our care."

"Wait, what?!" he cried, horrified. "You can't be serious! This is bogus! Lulu, let's get the fuck out of here! This isn't safe, and I ain't staying!"

"Kid, listen to me," I said in a more serious tone, glaring a little, "you don't need to understand or trust it, but either way she's set her mind on this and we're going to save her whether you like the method or not. We're going to turn her into a werewolf so she'll live, do you understand?"

"Werewolves and vampires aren't fuckin' real!" he screamed in my face. I heard low, threatening growls from behind me and his eyes flicked over my head. His entire face drained of color and he looked back down at me in alarm, but instead of arguing I gave him another smile, this one showing off my fangs. His pupils blew open and he gasped, staggering backwards and falling on his ass. He looked up at me in sheer terror, as if I were some monster about to eat him.