22. teeth

I woke up with my head squished against the window of the police car. 

I had hoped that it had been a dream, that I'd wake up in Matty's arms, probably lying on the sofa with everyone else piled around and near us. 

I checked my phone to see the time. 

It was seven o'clock in the morning, but when I noticed seven texts from Matty, I didn't care about the time anymore. 

'I miss you.'

'Come back, I miss you.' 

'Fucking hell I miss you.'

'At least there will be less distance between us tomorrow.'

'I can't sleep without you here, Lizzy.'

'I can't sleep. I want to sleep.' 

'Morning. I've had about an hour and a half sleep, I think I'm still drunk. How are you?' 

I swallowed, hoping to destroy the lump in my throat. 

'I miss you, I'm tired, I'm sad, I'm scared, I look awful as well. xoxoLizzy.' I sent the text to him and stared out of the window at the other cars passing us. They all probably thought I had committed some crime. 

'Why the xo's?' 

'Because I miss you. xoxoLizzy.' 

'That's good. How are the police officers?' 

'Annoying. One of them has noticed I'm awake, call you later, probably.  xoxoLizzy.'

I put my phone down into my lap and looked at the police man who was sitting in the passenger's seat. 

"Your parents have missed you." he said, I laughed quietly. 

"No they haven't." I replied. He frowned slightly, sitting back in his seat. 

I was thinking about the ways that I could possibly escape. We had stopped for the toilet quite a few times, but they had always kept a very watchful glance on me.

In fact, the first time they actually waited outside my cubicle, in the ladies toilets.

"Do you need a break?" he asked me. I nodded my head.

"How far are we?" I asked quietly.

"About an hour away."

"Okay."

I didn't like this.

I didn't want to be on the way home. I wanted to be hungover, half asleep with Matty.

The air was cold when we pulled into the nearest motorway service station. I stepped out of the car, I looked ridiculous. 

I decided to grab my dress and change into it in the toilets. 

I left the cat ears in the car. 

The night before whenever we had pulled over for a toilet break, I had been too drunk to notice the people - who were mainly men - staring at me. 

However, now I was pretty sober, and I noticed the people staring at me. 

I didn't blame them, though. I would do the same if a girl dressed up as a cat walked through the motorway service station I was in, closely followed by two police men. It looked like we were from some sort of touring strip club. 

I rushed into the toilet before anyone else could see me. 

I got changed and did the things I needed to do.