20. fishnets

Lizzy's POV

Matty was on one side of me, Tom on the other. Sylvia was sitting on the other sofa with Charlie and Bryony was sitting on the floor in front of the sofa we were sitting on, painting her nails a shade of bright orange, she had said she was getting ready for the 'festivities.' 

We all stared at the TV screen, Sylvia had decided to put The X Factor on, and so Matty was pretty much on the verge of leaping over the sofa to punch her as a woman in her forties hobbled into the audition room. She was wearing a bright pink vest top and cheetah print trousers and she was carrying a Tesco carrier bag that she put down on the floor next to her. 

"Turn it off!" Matty almost shouted as the lady began singing. I gripped onto his arm tightly, pulling him back onto the sofa. 

"Shh," I said, stroking my hands through his hair. "Don't worry, it'll all be over soon." I whispered into his ear, laughing. 

Eventually though, Sylvia did change the channel, thank god. 

We ended up watching some TV show about interior design that nobody really liked, but it was better than the alternatives. 

Matty and I had wasted most of our few days together. 

The Halloween party was the next day, then he was leaving the evening after. 

Sylvia and Bryony had promised to lend me something to wear, even though I didn't want to at all. They said I was either going to be a cat, a witch or a vampire and I had to choose, so I decided on being a cat. Although, it didn't seem very tempting. 

Sylvia had invited her boyfriend and Bryony and Charlie had invited a couple of their friends, who they said would probably just sneak into the background. 

I had secretly decided that I would do the same, maybe go out somewhere with Matty if he didn't get too high, which was incredibly unlikely. 

I chose you over drugs. 

I wondered how truthful his words were. 

Matty reached for my hand and held it tightly, as if he could read my thoughts. 

-------

I squeezed into one of Sylvia's many black dresses and stared at myself in her mirror. 

"No." I said. 

"Why not? It looks great on you." Matty said from where he was sitting on the floor, leaning against her bed. Sylvia nodded her head. 

"I agree, it looks amazing." she said.

I took one look at my exposed shoulders and the scars that were made so obvious by the strapless, tight, short black dress and shook my head. 

"No. Look, can't I just wear a black shirt and jeans?" I asked her and she shook her head. I groaned quietly. 

I adjusted the top of the dress so that my boobs weren't so obvious, Sylvia sighed quietly. 

"Look, you look great." she said. 

I picked up one of the other black dresses that I had tried on, I think it was Bryony's. 

It was still tight and short, but it had three quarter length sleeves and a little higher neckline. Plus, it was a little big for me, so I didn't feel so uncomfortable in it. 

"Fine." Sylvia sighed, Bryony grinned and clapped her hands. 

"Yay! Finally!" she laughed. 

I took Sylvia's dress off and put Bryony's on. Sylvia threw me one of her many belts, I sighed, looking at it. It was white and chunky. I put it on loosely so that it rested on my hips and dipped down slightly. 

Bryony had curled my hair yet again and made it look about five times its normal size and Sylvia had done my make up. Bright red lipstick and a lot of eyeliner, she also drew cat whiskers on my cheeks.

Bryony was dressed up as a witch and Sylvia was some kind of evil fairy thing. 

As Sylvia thrust some fish net tights and cat ears in my direction I realised how deep the water I was struggling through actually was. I sighed slightly, Matty's eyes almost lit up completely, like he had forgotten everything about it being our last night together. 

I shook my head at him as I began to pull the tights up my legs, then set the cat ears on the top of my head. 

"I look like something out of Mean Girls." I complained, but I was ignored.

"So," Sylvia said. "What are you going to be, Matty?" she asked. Matty frowned at her and shook his head.

"I don't do Halloween costumes. I'm twenty five." he said, she sighed.

"I'll get you. Eventually." she said.  

I sat down next to Matty who wound his arms around my waist immediately and pressed his lips against mine. We parted slowly and turned back to Sylvia who was cutting more and more holes into her outfit and dripping what looked like an entire tube of fake blood over herself, not even caring when droplets fell to the floor.

"Lizzy, do you have any stilettos?" she asked me.

"Yes, but I'm not wearing them with this. I'm going to stick with my battered baseball boots thank you very much." I laughed. She narrowed her eyes and me before laughing.  

I slipped my feet into them and smiled as I tied them up. 

Matty's lips found their way to my neck. 

I laughed quietly and pushed him away. 

"Not right now." I told him, he raised an eyebrow at me. 

We decided to go downstairs to help Tom and Charlie out. 

Tom was preparing food and drinks, Charlie was trying his hardest to put the balloons up around the bottom half of the house. 

"This is the weirdest thing ever." Matty whispered into my ear, I nodded my head in agreement as we walked into the kitchen. 

I walked over to Tom and began helping him empty a load of crisps into a big bowl, meanwhile, Matty got the drinks out of the fridge and put them in different jugs.

Then Matty opened the cupboard that Sylvia had hidden the drugs in and pulled out a smaller bag. 

"Fuck," he muttered. "Sylvia got coke." he said, staring at the white powder that filled the small bag.