11. dish-water

"Matty likes you." Bryony declared the next morning, with her mouth filled up with cornflakes. We were the only ones up, I was washing my round of the dishes, she was standing next to me, a bowl in her hand, eating cereal. 

"No he doesn't." I replied, remembering the conversation that Matty and I had the night before. 

"Seriously? Did you see the way he looked at you last night while Sylvia and I were doing your make up and hair? Are you blind?" 

"He didn't look at me at all, Bry." I kept a stone hard expression on my face, but my voice came out as more of a pained whimper. 

"Exactly!" she exclaimed. 

I sighed, shaking my head. 

She dumped her empty bowl into the sink.

I found myself wanting to drown in the mucky dish water, especially when Matty strolled into the kitchen, wearing nothing but my checkered pajama bottoms which were about six or seven inches too far up his legs. 

"They're mine." I said under my breath. 

He reached to the cupboard above me to take out a bowl for himself, taking longer than he needed to.

"Good morning to you, too." he said. 

I sighed quietly, taking my hands out of the dish bowl and waving them around to get the water off them, accidentally on purpose splashing him as well, but I didn't think he noticed. 

I reached for a towel and dried my hands off. 

"I- um, I'm going to look around a bit. I'll be back in about an hour." 

I didn't wait for either of them to reply, I just left. 

I grabbed my coat and bag on the way out of the door and I pulled them on quickly.

I ran down the road, before anyone could catch up with me, because I knew that one of them would try. 

Eventually I got to Camden market, I wasn't sure why I was there, but I was pretty sure that it had something to do with the stall I had bought the green dress from. 

I stopped in front of it and spent about five minutes looking around at all of the clothes and other various antiques. 

"That's a beautiful one." a woman told me, walking up to me and stopping next to me, staring down at a small oak dressing table with curved feet. 

I nodded my head as I looked at it, it was really pretty. 

I turned around and looked at her, something about her struck me as familiar. 

She had straight shoulder length bright red dyed hair, a lot of make up on, and some very fancy looking clothes. 

She was a little bit taller than me, and looked a little bigger. 

"Um- how much is it?" I asked, despite the fact that I knew I wouldn't be buying it, and I think she knew it too. 

"Fifty."

 "Ah." I laughed slightly. She smiled at me. 

"I could give it to you for thirty if you want?" she asked. I shook my head. 

"No, it's fine. I probably wouldn't have any room for it anyway. My room is like a cupboard." I didn't add that I was sharing it with some guy who I barely knew.

She nodded her head and smiled. 

"I know the feeling." she said, grinning at me. Then she looked at me, she stared at me for a few seconds.