4. skin

SONG TO THA SIDE, FOLKS! >>>>>

also a rather distorted image of da bae

________

"Come on, Lizzy." Matty said, trying his best to pull me along. I wasn't sure ho long we'd been holding hands for, but I was pretty sure it was some time after the fourth time my legs decided to give up beneath me. I felt like a dead weight. 

I groaned quietly, dragging my hands through my tangled hair that I hadn't combed since the day before, but it felt like it had been weeks. 

"Is there even any point, Matty?" I asked, pulling him to a stop. He frowned at me. 

"What do you mean?" he asked. 

"We've asked at four different flats, all looking for extra rooms to be filled, and none of them have accepted us, Matty. We're not going to find anywhere, literally I think we'd be best with a drug den." this time I wasn't joking. 

"Okay, Lizzy, have you ever taken any drugs?" he asked me. I shook my head. "Okay, and do you plan on it?" I shook my head again, he chuckled under his breath. "You've been deluded." he said. 

"No, deluded is what you become when you do take drugs." I explained. He laughed again, dragging a hand through his unruly hair. 

He had shaved the sides of his head, but there was dark hair growing back where he had. 

"Look, you wouldn't be accepted into a drug taking community, I would, but you wouldn't. Anyway, you don't want to be, how old are you anyway?" 

"Sixteen." 

"See? You'll have men of all ages clambering all over you. It's not exactly what you should willingly choose." he was trying to keep the mood light and happy, but we both knew he was failing. 

"How old are you?" I asked him, coming to the sudden realisation that I didn't know that much about him. 

"Twenty five." he said. I looked at him, watching his face scrunch up in disappointment with himself. 

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, you don't look it." I said, he chuckled slightly. 

"It's not that." he said, and we began walking again. 

I didn't want to ask him what it was. 

"I can't believe it's only October." I grumbled.

"I know, where did the summer go?" rhetorical question. 

I re-positioned my guitar on my shoulder and tried my best to smile at him, and he smiled back. 

His smile was one of the best smiles I had seen in my life, but then, I hadn't seen many people truly smiling for a long time. It was like that one really expensive food that you could rarely afford, but when you could, it was pretty much the only thing you wanted to eat for the rest of your life. 

His teeth were slightly crooked in places, and his mouth tended to twitch more to the left. I tried to stop myself from staring- observing. I was simply observing, not staring. 

"You alright, Liz?" he asked. I shrugged. 

"Yeah. What about you, Matty?"

"I'm fine. Y'know, just tired and kind of fed up with walking." 

"Same." 

He laughed, which made me laugh as well, not because what we were talking about was funny, but because we were tired and starving and we felt like we would drop dead any second, but we were lying to each other, and we both knew that.