"Of course I'll join," I feel happier knowing that my cookies are safe from Justin's hands. Yet... "What's bugging you then? You look like you wanna say something."

Realizing that he is unable to avert my gaze any longer, he takes a big gulp of air before talking. "Okay, here's the thing. I...might have already told my mum about you crushing on Brooke..." His voice trails off to a frail whisper upon observing my face.  

"Justin." I ball up my fists and takes a step closer to him. His Adam's apple bobs up and down uncomfortably as he retreats two steps away from me. Although he's at least taller than me by five inches, I can see him cowering visibly under my murderous glare. He did the only thing he's good at.

Which is running. 

"I'M FUCKING KILLING YOU JUSTIN BENSON," I roar before chasing him down the halls. 

After chasing around and beatings, I finally calm down enough to give Justin the silent treatment. He tails after me like a persistent ghost, his desperate pleadings deaf to my ears.

"I'm not going," I reject Justin's pleas coldly with a monotonous voice. 

"But you promised!" He exclaims exasperatedly. I glare at him sharply, efficiently shutting him up.

He tries another different approach. "Come on now, Levi. I'll control my mum, I promise. Think of the cookies you have to miss out. Your absolute favorite treat. The mouthwatering flavor. The gooey texture. The nice crunch..." 

I hold out a hand to stop him. "I know you're hopeless at controlling your mum. She has you wrapped around her little finger already." I roll my eyes as Justin offers a sheepish smile. 

"But," I frown at him seriously. "I would really like some cookies right now."

He cheers and punches the air like an overly excited schoolboy before wrapping a strong arm around my shoulders. "You're the BEST!!!"

I try pushing him away, before realizing I might as well try to push a mountain of muscles over here. Sure, I do work out regularly as well as taking martial arts classes on the weekends. But my abs are nothing like Justin's alarmingly bulging ones. I sigh and let him holler in my ear like an idiot. 

He was still grinning like a fool once we reach my motorbike. I look at him quizzically. "Are you that excited to eat the cookies?"

"Yeap!" He flashes a toothy grin at me before clambering onto the vehicle behind me. 

Jesus. I really have a three-year-old kid as my best friend. Hooray. Even Teddy is much well-behaved than him. 

Suddenly, a cold sensation drapes over my shoulders. Tiny shots of electricity prickle my spine alerting all of my senses in a sudden flash. I turn around and survey the school's car park. Clusters of loud teenagers are leaning against their cars, laughing and joking while swigging something out of their aluminium bottles. I'm assuming that the bottles are filled with alcohol. It's a Friday after all. The norm is to go out clubbing in the Downtown starting from Friday after school to Saturday and Sunday. Nothing look out of the ordinary.

"Hey."

"What?" 

He places his chin in the crook of my neck as he wraps his arms around my waist. "You know, I think you've changed," he muses thoughtfully.

"I didn't," I scoff at his ridiculously sentimental statement while starting up the engine. 

"You did." I can feel him smiling. "I think Brooke has soften you up." 

I rev up the engine and drive off, heading to Justin's house. I think about what Justin had said. I don't like change. If anything, I don't want to be soft. I am strong. I have to be strong. To protect Teddy. To protect myself. To protect Brooke...

Maybe I'm already all softened up by her. 

I groan inwardly, refusing to give Justin the satisfaction that he is correct. This is not good. Not good at all.