Ch. 24 Temporary Space

I entered the room Greg had given to me. I glanced around the lavish what could only be described as an apartment. There was a living room with a white leather couch and a giant flat screen. In between the flat screen and the couch sat a modern glass coffee table. I stepped into the bedroom to find a queen sized bed with dark blue sheets and small light blue pillows. Above the bed was a cut out in the ceiling where a faint blue light could be seen coming from the edges of the cut out part of the white ceiling. There was a night stand on both sides of the bed with a phone on the right side. Just like in the living room there was a big tv. Along one side of the room was a beautiful mahogany desk with a golden design carved into the wood. My fingers ran across the smooth surface as a smile spread across my lips. The room wouldn't be meant for a hunter if in ever room there wasn't crucifixes and stakes in case a vampire attacked.

I entered the bathroom to find a fancy white jacuzzi tub sticking with the blue theme had underwater blue lights. There was blue towels hanging in the bathroom and a white robe. I exited the bathroom checking the closet where there was black pants and white tank tops. To cover the tank tops they had a variety of leather jackets from maroon to black and white. They even had a blue jacket to match the room. The space given to me didn't feel temporary but like it had been created specifically to meet my taste. I flopped on the bed allowing myself to relax. I shut my eyes taking a deep breath before I got to my feet deciding to take a bath. I slipped into the tub allowing the warm water to ease the tense from my muscles. I closed my eyes as the past few days events run through my mind; from Blake getting caught to my conversation with Greg Marks.

A knock interrupted my thoughts causing me to get up. I opened the door to find Greg Marks.

"Hi," I said moving to let Greg enter the room.

"Do you like the room?" He asked me as I nodded.

"It's so stunning. I didn't expect something so high class," I said softly as he laughed at my statement.

"I'm glad you like it," he said firmly. "I'd like to see you tomorrow for breakfast so we can discuss several things before we decide if you can leave or not."

"Alright. I'll be there at 9," I smiled as he nodded.

"I'll have a hunter escort you there as the compound can be quite confusing," Greg said as I nodded. "I'll leave you to finish settling." He said looking like he wanted to hug me but instead turned at left. I wondered why we felt this weird tension between us. Greg made his way to the door with me smiling walking to the door behind him.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I said with a polite smile on as he nodded exiting the room. I shut the door before making my way to the phone to call Nikki. Guilt tugged at me slightly because I kept Nikki in the dark and I killed her mom. She answered instantly and I could hear the grief in her voice as she spoke.

"Hello," she said as my lip trembled.

"Hey Nik. I just wanted to call and let you know I'm okay and I'll be at the compound for a few days," I said my voice cracking. I knew she would read that as sorrow related to my aunt's death.

"Oh thank God. I thought you had been taken or killed in the attack," she said her voice filled with sadness. "I couldn't bare if I'd lost you too."

"You won't lose me. I promise," I said firmly trying to mask the guilt inside me. "Anyway I should go but I'll keep in touch."

"Okay. I love you sis," she said as I smiled at her words.

"I love you too," I said hanging up. I sighed before deciding to change out of my slightly dirty clothes before going to find food. I grabbed the dark purple leather jacket pulling it on over the white tank top and tight black pants. I exited the room walking the short distance to the community kitchen at the end of the hall. I opened the fridge grabbing milk and a box of cereal. I poured them into a bowl before putting the carton and box away. I sat at the counter eating the cereal slowly. The kitchen was quiet and dark as I hadn't bothered turning the light on. I looked at my left hand with a frown. He hadn't even tried to get in touch or been worried after the attack on the compound. Why was he avoiding me so badly. I get we disagreed but I hadn't thought it was severe enough for him to pretend he had never met or cared about me. I sighed putting the spoon in the bowl getting up. I rinsed the bowl out before setting it in the dishwasher.

I left the kitchen as soon as I had made sure I cleaned up after myself. I had no where else to be so I found myself entering my room once more. I took the jacket off tossing it on the couch. I went into the bedroom flopping onto the bed. I glanced at the phone as Tyler floated through my head again but instead I got up flicking the light switch before climbing into the bed. I curled up under the sheets allowing my body to slip into a dreamless sleep.