Ch. 22 The Apartment

I reached the apartment within ten minutes to find the whole place destroyed. Several hunters lay dead on the ground while others were injured. There were only a few left standing unharmed. I saw piles of ash and I knew that several vampires had died. I located the lead hunter walking over to her.

"Did you get him?" I asked as she nodded. I smiled pretending to look relieved. "Thank God."

"It was difficult to get him but we finally did. He's in the containment truck. We decided the truck would be the best way to move him to a cell without risk of him getting away or hurting someone," she said as I nodded at her.

"Can I ride with the containment team? I want to make sure he suffers for the pain he caused," I said firmly. Fake anger danced in my blue eyes as I spoke about Blake.

"Sure thing. You should head to the truck now if you plan on riding with them," she said. I turned exiting the apartment locating the truck. I climbed in the back sitting beside one of the hunters and across from a heavily chained Blake.

"She'll be pleased. We finally have the man responsible for all this pain," I said coolly. The hunter scoffed looking at me.

"Don't you mean monster? This thing is no man," he spat as I nodded in false agreement. My eyes lingered on Blake trying to figure out how to get him out of this without outing myself. My mind continued to think over each scenario to find the best solution to free Blake. The truck started to move as I found my body tense. There were at least five hunters sitting in the back of the truck with me. I couldn't take them all out and so I had to wait. We reached the compound where another five hunters waited to grab Blake. I hopped out of the truck before they gripped Blake tightly. I followed them slowly with a stoic expression on my face.

"Ashley," my aunt grinned at me as I looked over at her. "We can avenge her together, you and I." I held back the anger her comment brought.

"What will you do with him?" I asked as she looped her arm through mine.

"We will get information from him before we execute him," she said simply as I nodded. I stood stiffly beside my aunt while she gave orders. "Chain him." I watched as they covered Blake in heavy chains laced with holy water strapping him to the wall.

"Would you like me present for the interrogation or should I head back to Nikki's?" I asked my aunt calmly. She faced me and I could see the thoughts cycling through her blue eyes.

"I want you to question Blake," she said grinning. I froze but kept my facade up.

"I'll get started right away then," I said walking over to the table filled with weapons forged specifically to hurt a vampire. I gripped the holy water laced blade walking towards Blake slowly. "So you can do this the easy way or the hard way. Tell us everything and I promise I won't torture the information out of you." I spat with false venom as his dark eyes stared at me.

"Screw you," he said as my lips pressed together in a tight line trying to figure out how to hurt him without causing him too much pain. My aunt was watching for any sign of deception so I needed to be precise in my actions or I'd join Blake. I strode forward holding the blade tightly in my hand. I pushed the knife against his arm giving him a smirk as I cut into his flesh. He winced at the brief pain before I stepped back.

"Tell me," I said softly as his dark gaze hardened again.

"Never," he spoke firmly as I balled my fists in fake anger. I rushed forward dragging the blade across his chest leaving a gash across his body. He cried out as I laughed at him.

"You could make this easy and yet you refuse. This pain is your fault," I snapped harshly when the entire building shook under my feet. My eyes widened as I glanced at my aunt. She grabbed a stake walking with purpose to Blake. My breath caught in my chest knowing I had to make my choice now. I plunged the knife in my hand into her back as she shrieked looking at me in disbelief. Tears pooled in my eyes as I lowered her to the ground gently. These tears weren't of guilt but of anger and sorrow she caused me by taking my mother from me. I grabbed the keys out of her pocket.

"No," she muttered weakly as I unlocked Blake's chains. "Don't."

"You have no right to tell her what to do. You killed her mother and hid the truth from her," Blake spat his hand resting on my waist. "She was too good for you!"

"At least I'll die knowing that she doesn't know everything," my aunt said with spite in her eyes. "I'll die with your father's name buried inside me."

"Tell me!" I screamed but she laughed with blood collecting in the corner of her mouth.

"I should have killed you when I had the chance," she said struggling to breathe. I stared into her eyes watching as her blue eyes went blank.

"We should go before more hunters arrive. My guys can only hold them for so long," Blake said pulling me away from my aunt's body. I didn't think and just followed Blake out of the building and into the car waiting for us. I stared out the window as we sped away from the headquarters when hunters were being slaughtered by the vampires with ease. My mind focused on the vacant look on my aunt's face as she died because of me. I felt relieved to not have to worry about her but at the same time I couldn't help but think of her words before she died, I'll die with your father's name buried inside me. Who was he? What was he like? Would he love me even with the blood gushing from my hands because of the people I killed?