Ch. 24 Embrace It

We stood in the cell waiting for the hunters to return for me. Tyler held me close to him as if trying to memorize every inch of me. I rested my head on his shoulder while my sister watched us with teary eyes. You could feel the sadness in the atmosphere as we stood together trying to enjoy our last few moments together.

"Tyler I want you to move on," I told him weakly. He forced me to face him as he cradled my face in his hands.

"I could never forget you Ash," Tyler said firmly. "You need to fight this until you're last moment. Promise me you won't give in."

"I would fight for you forever and I'm a vampire so I could," I said trying to lighten the mood. "I love you big green."

"I love you too little blue even if you don't have blue eyes anymore," he said as I pressed my lips to his. Fire ran through my body as the kiss deepened filling every inch of me.

"I was looking forward to marrying you," I said softly. Tyler slipped his arms around my waist pulling me tightly against his body instinctively as if the tightness would prevent what was to come.

"We will get married as soon as we find a way out of this," he whispered in my ear. The door opened as several men rushed into the room surrounding us.

"It's time," Mr. Walsh said as Tyler held me protectively.

"No please. I can't lose her, not again," Tyler begged only for two of the men to grab him pulling him away from me. Tears raced down my cheeks as I saw the panic fill his green gaze.

"I love you Tyler, always," I whimpered as the men gripped my arms roughly.

"Ashley your promise," Nikki whispered as I gave her one last glance before I started to struggle against their hold. I ripped free only for something to plunge into my chest. I yanked the dart out of my chest staggering from the room as the Holy water weighed on me. I made two more steps before collapsing against the ground. The two men grabbed my arms dragging me down the dark hallway with Tyler following behind pleading for my life but his father just watched the situation unfold with an emotionless expression.

"Ty," I gasped my body felt weak as we continued up the stairs and onto the rooftop.

"Ashley," he screamed as they chained me to a metal pole. Pain flooded my body as I looked into his wet green eyes. My sister stood a few feet from Tyler with tears streaming her rosy cheeks. I hung my head as I accepted what was to come. I couldn't fight them and my family was going to have the image of my death burned into their memories. "Damn it don't give in Ashley!"

"I love you Tyler. I'm so sorry," I sobbed hearing his broken voice. Mr. Walsh's cold gaze met mine as he held the dark wooden stake in his hand. "Just kill me already!" I growled as he looked toward the horizon. The sun had just started to set as he strode toward me. I found myself embracing death as I looked at the stake. As I stared at Mr. Walsh I felt a surge of energy in my body as he raised the stake before driving it into my heart. I gasped expecting to feel pain before fading into nothingness but instead a bright light filled the rooftop blinding me and everyone else. When the light faded my eyes widened in shock. Mr. Walsh lay limply on the ground while Tyler held Nikki against his body as if shielding her. The rest of the hunters had vanished completely. "Tyler." He released my sister turning to face me. I saw the relief on his face as he rushed to free me. I collapsed against him feeling drained. My vision blurred before I slipped into the darkness. I felt nothing as I saw black with no end in sight. I wondered if this is what death felt like.
---
My eyes flew open a few hours later. I touched my chest searching for the hole but found none, I was alive. I sat up on the bed looking around at the room. I was at a motel with Nikki asleep on the other bed and Tyler passed out in a chair. I got to my feet shakily. My head pounded as I staggered toward the bathroom. I froze as my eyes landed on the mirror. My eyes were blue almost like when I was human except there was a dark black ring on the outer edge of the iris. I listened to the heart beats in the room and realized I had a heart beat just an abnormally slow one. I looked at my chest but the spot the stake hit had healed completely without a scar. Once again I had no idea what I had become. My stomach growled as I exited the bathroom. I would need to hunt for blood soon. I walked over to Tyler pressing my lips to his cheek. His eyes flew open as his mouth dropped as he found his green eyes staring into my blue.

"I don't understand," he muttered as I sat on the edge of the lumpy bed.

"Neither do I," I said softly as he gazed at me. "I have a pulse just a very slow heart beat."

"You clearly are still part vampire but I've never heard of such a thing," Tyler murmured as I shrugged.

"I'm not complaining. I thought I was dead for a second," I said softly as he wrapped his arms around me holding me close.

"I was terrified," Tyler said as I leaned against him.

"I saw your fear and wanted to help you but I couldn't," I said softly. "I still don't understand how I survived."

"Whatever the reason I'm glad," Tyler said as he caressed my cheek. Our lips collided sending fire ripping through me causing my heart to race as we lay back on the mattress. Tyler's hands rested on my waist as I draped my arms around his neck allowing his touch to consume every inch of me. I was alive and most importantly we were together.