Chapter 38: Taylor

Taylor, 2026

Salt Lake City, Utah

"And what do the stars say tonight?" she asked.

"They're sparkling," his voice rasped, "which means they're feeling pretty great tonight. The rest of the city is, too."

She twisted her head to the ceiling-to-floor window behind her that displayed the lights of the city as well as the shiny ones scattered across the dark sky. She turned back to him. "And what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Well, you're part of the city, too."

He closed his eyes and rested his muscles as she injected the sharp needle into his forearm. His lips parted, and air blew out. "Am I?" He asked. "I haven't been feeling a part of anything lately."

She grasped his shoulder and looked into his eyes. "Taylor, if anything, you are the reason those stars come out at night and sparkle."

The two continued to gaze into each other's eyes until a grin cracked on Taylor's lips. "That made... absolutely no sense," he smirked, causing both to laugh hysterically- Taylor's weaker than her's. "And was very, very corny if I must add."

"I tried," she shrugged, flashing her widest smile which always made Taylor explode with butterflies inside. She closed the Ziploc bag that held the medical utensils and placed it on the tray beside his bed. "Do you need anything else, Taylor?"

"Yes," he said, the statement fatally coming out a whisper. He reached for her hand slowly and held it. "Stay with me tonight. Please? It's so lonely and depressing here, Serena."

"I can't," she whispered sincerely. She sat on the crook of the hospital bed, her hand still in Taylor's. "People will begin to question it. Co-workers, other nurses. I'm sorry. Plus, your doctor is coming tonight to speak with you."

Taylor shifted in the bed uncomfortably. "He's really telling me tonight, isn't he?"

A silence ensued as the two continued to stare at each other. "Taylor," Serena said softly. "It's better that you know. I know you're scared, darling, I understand. But you can't just avoid the reality of it. You have to know when."

"It's really happening, huh?" he said. Before she could respond, a subtle knock occurred on the hospital door, causing Serena to hop off the bed.

"Come in," Taylor called.

The door opened as Taylor's doctor walked in. "Mr. Caniff! Looking great as ever, boy," he spoke warmly. "Oh, and why hello Serena!"

"Hi, Dr. Ord. I was just giving his medicine for the night. I'll leave now."

"No, stay," Taylor said through impulse. "She can stay right, doc?"

"I don't see why not," he responded. "Only if you feel comfortable with that, of course. I will be sharing you thee news tonight."

"I do, doctor. I do. She can stay."

"Okay," Serena said. She sat on the chair beside Dr. Ord as he retrieved Taylor's file and all of his hospital documents throughout the year.

"So, how are you feeling tonight Tay? Scale of 1-10? Ten being the most pain," he asked.

"It depends," Taylor said uneasily. "If I die tonight, probably a strong one."

Dr. Ord and Serena stared at him, speechless. That, Dr. Ord mentally decided, was probably one of the saddest responses he ever gotten from any cancer patient he ever treated. Serena could feel threatening tears form in her eye sockets, but she fought it.