Chapter 22

Denver

It was a lazy afternoon in Colorado for Ariel and Jesse. They were simply lounging on the living room couches, watching old movies. Jesse's arm draped over Ariel's shoulder as she relaxed on his chest.

Suddenly, the two heard a faint ringtone that they quickly decoded to be Ariel's cellphone coming from her bedroom. Ariel excused herself, and chased the ring of her phone.

She didn't recognize the number on the screen but she still picked up anyways.

"Hello?"

"Ariel, hi!"

"Nash?" She recognized his voice.

"Yeah, how are you? How is everything?"

"I'm fine. Everything's fine. How have you been?" She asked, confused.

"Never better. Just down here in Beverly Hills."

"Oh, that's nice." She was mildly confused at how random this call was. "I saw your tweet this morning, by the way. Thank you for thinking keeping Grace in mind."

"Of course. Grace was.. She was a wonderful person. To me and to all the guys."

"Yeah," Ariel agreed. She sat down on her bed. "Is everything okay, Nash? Did something happen?"

"Honestly, yes. It's Cameron."

"What about Cameron? Is he okay?"

"He's totally changed, Ariel. I don't know what it is. He's vain, arrogant, rude. I don't know if it's the divorce or just his fame biting him in the ass but, God, he is so out of it."

"How bad is he?"

"I've never seen him like this before. He's bringing home random Hollywood groupies, yelling at his workers, practically allowing his Emmy awards label himself like some kind of social status. It's ridiculous."

"I-I don't know what to say. We haven't spoken to each other in a whole year."

"I called you because I know you're the only person that can actually get to Cam."

"What do you want me to do, Nash? I'm not Cam's comforter. I can't just drop my whole life whenever he's acting out."

"You don't understand. I saw him today in the first time in months and I swear I didn't even recognize him anymore, Ariel."

"Well," Ariel said. "I don't know what to tell you."

"You care for Cam, right?"

"Of course, I do. I can't believe you just asked me that."

"Then how can you just watch him throw his life away like this?"

"Nash--"

"Seriously. I can't stand to see him like this," Nash said. "But I know the influence you have on Cam and the impact you leave on him every time. You have the ability to bring him back, Ariel. He's lost in this.. this fugue state and he needs someone to pry him out."

Ariel remained silent.

"You know, out of the six years that you guys have known each other, I think this is the time he's ever needed you most." That hit Ariel right in the stomach. She couldn't say no to that, no matter what.

Ariel groaned. "I can't just randomly arrive in his house and tell him I'm going to give him an intervention."

"Cameron's Open House is tonight. He just bought a new house in Beverly Hills and invited all these celebrities to party with him. Come," Nash nagged.

"I-I don't know. It sounds like I'm not even wanted there."

"Well you are, all right? You're my guest," Nash said. "I'll pay for your ticket here and everything. Just come."

.

.

.

Explaining to Jesse was relatively easy. He understood Ariel's underlying care for Cameron and wanted her happy nonetheless. He loved Ariel, and knew that when it came to Cameron, she would go miles. It hurt him tremendously, but if this was the visit that would determine who she would be with at the end, he let her go to Beverly Hills and find out.

The party began at 9 o'clock and was already flooded with celebrities by 8. Ariel arrived in a cab, and could already see hidden paparazzi decked out behind bushes and vehicles. It reminded her of what Alice had said about the paps two years ago during their lunch: Their jobs depended on the lives of these celebrities, as much as these celebrities depended on theirs. It was a twisted logic, but was true nonetheless. She wondered if Alice was here tonight.

Ariel wore a subtle over-the-shoulder, navy dress that wrapped around her legs tightly. With that, she paired it with black stilettos and wore her hair down in elegant curls that draped down her breasts. Her make up was an intense smokey eye with a light, nude lip. She figured if she was going to a party in Beverly Hills, she might as well go all out.

She entered the impressive, extravagant house and immediately saw celebrities from all over the place fervently dancing to the beat of the music. It startled Ariel, but she quickly dismissed the dance floor and made her way to the kitchen in which she bumped into Nash.

"Ariel!" He exclaimed.

"Hi, Nash." They briefly embraced.

"You look great, and thank God you're here."

"Thanks. I don't feel as good as I look, though."

"Nervous?"

Ariel nodded. "I've never been to one of these things! On my way to this kitchen, I saw Ashton Kutcher, John Legend and Justin Bieber! You don't see that many celebrities at once!" Ariel exclaimed. Nash laughed. "And holy shit, is this house huge."

"I said the same," Nash said. "Have you seen Cameron yet?"

"No, I just arrived."

"Come, he might be at the backyard porch." So Ariel followed Nash as he led her to the back of the house. She continued to see a bunch of actors, singers, stars everywhere. She felt terribly out of place.

Suddenly Nash opened the doors to the back yard and instantly, Ariel had spotted Cameron a short distance away, sitting on a round table with four provocatively dressed woman wrapped in his arms. There were a few other people in the porch, but Cameron was right in the center, enjoying himself with his Hollywood groupies.

"There he is," Nash pointed.

"I-I can't do this," Ariel said, shaking her head.

"Yes you can," he encouraged.

"He has... company! He's occupied right now!"

"What- those desperate bitches?" Nash snorted, referring to the groupies. "Come on." He led Ariel to the table.

"Cameron!" Nash beamed.

"I'm busy right now," he muttered, without bothering to even look up.

"I know, I know. But someone special is here and I thought you'd like to know."

"Nash, I said I'm bus--" He finally looked up to fest his eyes on Ariel, who was standing beside Nash. He instantly became speechless. The groupies caught his reaction and glared at her.

"I'll leave you be," Nash said simply, exciting the porch and entering the party again.