Chapter 16 (2018)

Roughly one year later, 2018

The two never did see each other as fuck buddies or casual summer flings that next summer. They did meet, but not necessarily in the terms of anything but friends.

Denver

"Dearest Ariel Vi," Grace read. "You are cordially invited to celebrate the wedding of Alice Azácucci Aghzryoiz--"

"The fuck?" Danny commented at the odd name.

"--And Cameron Alexander Dallas,on Saturday, 8th of July, at 4 o'clock. 35 East Oliver Ave, Seattle, WA. Followed by a reception at The Sorrento Hotel."

"Babe, say that name one more time," Danny laughed.

"It's a German/French name," Ariel explained, while painting on a fresh canvas.

"And how long has Cam been dating this Victoria Secrets bitch?" Grace asked.

"How do you know she's a bitch?" Ariel snorted.

"How do you know she's not a bitch?" Grace shot back.

Ariel rolled her eyes. "He told me they've been dating for roughly seven months."

"Seven months? And they're getting married? What the fuck?" Danny exclaimed.

"Well, I know one thing for sure. This Ariel Asdfghklsxbmhxvk girl, does not have a keen eye when it comes to wedding invitations. She used linen, everyone knows you use vellum! We used vellum in our wedding invitations," Grace babbled.

"Grace no one cares about what paper you use in invitations. Everyone throws them out anyways," Ariel sneered. "And besides, I know Cameron. He's not going to marry a girl unless he knows she can provide him with a lifetime of happiness. I don't doubt his decisions here."

Grace scowled. "Well I guess this is the outcome when you tell the guy you love you cheated on him, even though you never actually cheated on him."

"I still don't understand why you did that," Danny mumbled.

Ariel sighed. "I was keeping him from--"

"No, no. You don't have to explain to me. Girl's are just fuckin' weird."

Ariel and Grace grinned at each other.

"Sooo, what are you wearing to the wedding?" Grace interrogated.

"I can't go to the wedding. The 8th of July is the only day I can retake my medical clinical."

"Okay, stop speaking doctor to us."

"Medical clinical equals med final, Grace," Ariel repeated, slowly and provocatively. "Therefore, I can't go the day of the wedding."

"But you got invited. Do you know how rude you'd look if you didn't go? Or how incredible sketchy it'd look that you aren't going to your ex's wedding?"

"I am nobody's girlfriend. Therefore I am not entitled to go to anything."

"Oh, I know what this is about," Grace said, examining her best friend. "You don't want to go."

"Of course I want to go."

"No you don't. You see, you're acting all 'it-doesn't-bother-me' now, but the moment you see Cam walking that model down the aisle, your heart will break to a million pieces."

"It will not," Ariel laughed.

"Really? Then why don't you visit him earlier this week? Before your med finals? Give him your blessing or something."

"He doesn't need my blessing!" Ariel said, exasperated almost.

"I do think it'll help, though," Danny chimed in. "For the both of you guys."

"You're only saying that because your wife is saying that."

"Maybe so, but still," Danny said. "There's really nothing to lose. One way or another, he's gonna marry that girl."

That hit Ariel, hard. Relentlessly, she gave in. "Okay. Since you guys are so convinced that I'm jealous over Cam's new fiancé, I'll go. The morning of July 7th, spend

the whole day in Seattle and go back on a plane that night, in time for my finals. You guys happy?" Grace grinned, proud that she had just convinced her best friend to do something once again.

Suddenly, a faint beeping sound came from the paper bag set on Ariel's coffee table.

"Is that it?!" Ariel asked eagerly. Grace nodded, slowly reaching for the paper bag as Ariel and Danny ambled beside her.

"Open it," Danny beamed. But it was obvious that Grace was frail and nervous and agile for the outcome.

"I'm so scared," Grace rasped.

"Hey, baby, listen," Danny said, cupping her chin. "I have a feeling about this one. Okay? Third try's a charm, right?"

Grace nodded but even so, she was still afraid. "You check it, please," she said to her husband.

He nodded and took the paper bag from her hands, as Grace reached for Ariel's hand to grasp for support. Danny took the pregnancy test out, and after the five, dreadful minutes they all had to wait for results, Danny finally had the answer in his fingertips.

The two watched him intently as air blew from his parted lips and disappointment feigned from his face. He subtly shook his head no.

There was an etching silence in the air, followed by a pathetic weep from Grace who fell into the arms of her husband. The two had attempted to have a baby three times now, shortly after their wedding in September. However. each attempt failed miserably, contributing worry to the young couple that they may never have the chance to start a family.

Ariel gently patted Grace on the back, reassuring her that everything would be fine. "You guys are still so young," she comforted. "You'll have a whole lifetime together to have babies." Grace just continued to sob into Danny's chest.

An idea suddenly popped into Ariel's head. "Hey, you know what you guys need?" she anticipated. Danny and Grace both looked up, wearily. "A vacation."

"Vacation?" Danny asked.

"Yes. You guys never want on a honeymoon because Fall semester for school started, right?" They both nodded. "Well it's obvious you guys are overwhelmed with Denver. Go attempt a fourth time, in Seattle with me. Well not with me, of course. But I'll be there for another reason and yeah."

They finally caught on to what Ariel was anticipating. "I-I don't know, Ariel..." Danny said.

Grace got up from his shoulder, wiped her tears and nodded her head. "No, Ariel's right. We should go with her. We could really use a vacation to relieve some stress, hon."

"Are you sure, baby? I mean, whatever you want, I'm fine with," Danny said. Grace kissed him on the forehead, then nodded to Ariel. It was set, the three were headed off to Washington in three days.

***Sorry if this chapter was really boring, I promise it gets more intense. Note: Grace's failed pregnancy is a foreshadow to a really important event that's going to happen in a few more chapters. Keep reading to find out what! And don't forget to vote/comment (:***