Chapter 4: After Jane

Start from the beginning

James gave her a sympathetic smile and took Mary's hand.

Darcy watched the exchange and the affection in the air which was thick enough to feel. He could not help but feel a burn in his heart.

"Mr. Darcy," smirked Caroline, "seems you have a competition for the fair lady."

Darcy felt a strong urge to say something on her face, but he was her brother's guest and it would be too impolite.
______________

Mr. Bennet's estate earned a good three and a half thousand a year, which, unfortunately, was entailed away from his daughters. They only had their mother's six thousand pounds and a sum of three thousand each, which Adele had saved in the reserve for her sisters, not for herself, from the estate's income. Due to her attention to the tenants, the optimism was high and so was the quality of things produced.

She was sitting in the library, looking at the beautiful scenery painting in the windows. It would rain that evening for sure. She brought her supplies and started to paint in the gardens. She was just done, completing the scenery when Elizabeth came to her.

"Mother is sending Jane to Netherfield on horseback," panted Elizabeth.

"Netherfield! Horseback! Why is she to go?"

Elizabeth passed her the note and added, "Mumma wants Jane to stay there for the night."

"Does not she know that a lady with running nose is better in shooing men, not attracting them," said Adele and ran off just in time to see Jane going on horseback.

"Goodness! No!" She hissed and ran off behind her. Soon, the downpour began and Adele knew her mother would be happy for her own success.

She knew a short way to Netherfield, but Jane had the advantage of the horse and thus the last thing that Adele saw was Jane getting inside the Netherfield gate and turned before she fainted from fever.
_____________

Darcy decided to return to Netherfield early because of how highly bored he was. The officers were all indifferent to propriety and were nowhere good for his society. He was also tired of idleness as he had broken himself from the party, moreover could only think of a certain lady who is heartless enough to deprive him of sleep.

Suddenly, the shower started and he was startled out of his thoughts. He kicked his heels into the side of the horse and rode faster.

Suddenly, when he was near the gate, he saw a shadow of a lady dropping to the ground. Uncertain of what to do, he stopped his horse and got down, making his way towards the side of the road.

"Adele," he was shocked to see hee fainted and all drenched in rain. He sat beside her and patted her warm feverish cheeks ever so lightly.

"Miss Bennet! Miss Adele!" said he, "wake up, ma'am"

Her brows twitched and her eyes adjusted to the light. He sighed in relief when he saw her looking around. His breath was caught when her eyes met his. Till then, he threw propriety out of the window, though it would only harm her. How much he wished Charles beside him then. Though the thoughts were gone as he looked at her.

Raindrops were dropping on her. His desire increased as he watched the droplets travel from her forehead to cheek to her jaw and neck and further. He gulped his desire.

"Miss Adele," his voice was husky, "what had happened to you?"

"Oh Mr. Darcy," she said while standing up, "it is nothing. I was just worried about Jane. My silly mother thought not twice before sending her on horseback in such a weather. I just followed her to see if she was good."