Prologue

Metropolis. A city that was the embodiment of the good side of urban society. A city that proudly displayed what humanity could accomplish. But all that was over. All that was lost. All that lied in ruins. A symbol discarded. A beacon of hope destroyed. Millions upon MILLIONS of bodies discarded, burned, wiped off the face of the planet in the quickest yet painless way imaginable. A thick layer of ash covered everything in sight. All that was left were the skeletons of buildings. Small fires were still burning here and there.

Unprecedented and unpredicted, the destruction of this fine city unleashed shockwaves on a unimaginable scale unlike any other attack in recent memory. Police were frantic, civilians from afar were terrified and the news was ALL OVER IT. For an event THIS recent, it was impossible to pull away from the subject.

Police officers at the GCPD were running rampant either watching the news, answering calls or just making a lot of noise amidst the outburst of information flooding their way.

Commissioner Jim Gordon and Renee Montoya did not turn away from the horror displayed on the screen. They couldn't. It was an eye-opener, a game changer, an Earth shattering revelation to the constructs, the morals and beliefs of every dirty criminal out there who'd had either constructed this attack or simply watched from afar.

Either way, this was hell unleashed.

"God almighty".

Renee couldn't say anything. With tears in her eyes and her mouth covered, she couldn't stand to watch anymore and slowly walks away.

The news was only to get worse from here on out, curtesy of Gotham Gazette reporter Vicki Vale herself, looking visibly and visually distraught over the ENTIRE situation, it almost seemed as if she didn't have the wear-withal to sit through this let alone call upon the event.

"Re-reports are flying in from-all over the world. It has been confir-confirmed that the Joker has unleashed a.....massive scale nuclear weapon.....upon Metropolis." She said, pressing on with the traumatic experience. This was her job to do. And she did it, albeit at a slow yet methodically pace with her voice crackling more and more after every sentence. "We are.....not aware of the total casualties but it is likely to be in the millions. The Joker has since been apprehended and is currently being taken to Strykers Island. The effect this attack has left o-"

She stood shaken for a moment as she suddenly catches wind of chatter in her earpiece. Her expression once again remains professional but as the info slightly spreads open, it gets even HARDER for her to maintain said composure.

"This-just in: we have JUST received word that......Daily Planet editor in-chief Perry White and reporter Lois Lane are both confirmed to be on the list......of the deceased."

In the midst of the ruptured and destroyed chaos of the once beloved city, was the self proclaimed beacon of light hovering above the mild glimmer of the sunset.

It lowers and lowers further downwards towards the ground as the figure became noticeably more apparent, thanks to its cape and the object it was holding in its grasp. Superman, holding his dead wife Lois in his arms as he laid on the ground on her knees, ruptured, broken and in complete disbelief. The expression on his face was priceless and not in a good way. This was his responsibility and he didn't leave up to protecting the one thing he always swore to guard with his life. The unfortunate matter is that Lois wasn't the only one he had to protect as the city mattered just as much. His duty was left unfulfilled and it ate at him.

But there was something much more traumatic on his mind from this loss. Something even the sanest of people would understand.

And the mere importance behind it seemed strong enough to break the Man Of Steel from the inside out as he bellowed from the top of his lungs, echoing throughout the outskirts of the broken city and all across the state.