1 - Whore

Beep, beep, beep

I shot up from my bed and quickly turned off my alarm before carefully listening for any footsteps. It was early in the morning, and she doesn't like being woken up so early. I learned that the hard way, and trust me, it didn't end pretty.

I quietly made my way to my small ensuite bathroom and stripped myself of my clothing before stepping under the warm water. I think the only time I've ever felt warmth was from the shower, everything else just made my skin feel cold, like there was no more warmth in my life.

Yeah, I guess that's what happens when the only person that made you truly happy passes away and takes the fire that sparked up your life with them. I wasn't always like this, I wasn't always so scared, so fearful, I wasn't always so fucking paranoid but here I am now, afraid of waking up my stepmother by my alarm clock. It's pathetic, I know, but I'd do anything to not get hurt anymore.

Once I find a stable job, then I'm out of here, and that's the only thing that's keeping me going right now. The thought of me being happier in the future is my only inspiration to get out of bed in the morning, it's my only motivation to keep me moving. I have nobody to encourage me, nobody to support me, but I always somehow convince myself that I have me, and I'm enough.

I stepped out of the shower and pulled on a pair of black leggings and a hoodie that reached mid thigh. Marideth always said I looked better when I didn't try looking like a slut so much, so outfits like this are the only thing I really resort to. I know it's not much, but that's the whole point, if I don't do much, I'm better.

After slipping on my black slip on vans I grab my bag and hurry downstairs when I see that I have 20 minutes until they wake up, so I quickly start making breakfast. I flip a couple of pancakes and scramble some eggs before it's time for me to leave. And when I finally set the last pancake on the plate, they walk down the stairs and sit down at the dining table.

"Good to see you're not dressing like the whore you are," Marideth seethed. I didn't reply but instead set the other two plates down for my stepbrother and stepsister, and they're not any better.

"Good morning hot cakes," Jake whispered seductively into my ear as he smacked my ass when Marideth wasn't looking. I jumped at the contact and quicky rushed over back to the kitchen island and started eating my breakfast quickly.

"Ugh, I'm not even hungry," Jessica groaned as she pushed her plate away.

I can't even make breakfast right...

"You two kids hurry up and get to school, I have to get to work," Marideth commanded. They both answered with a 'yes mom' and started getting ready for school while I washed the dishes.

"See you later sweet cheeks," Jake whispered when he walked past me. It sent shivers down my spine and it was disgusting to see him doing it in front of his mom, but of course she didn't care what he did.

"He wouldn't have to do that if you kept dressing like a slut April," Marideth pointed out as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. I nodded my head and slung my bag over my shoulder and walked outside to head to school.

When I walked out of the gates I looked up at the mansion I had just left and sighed. How could a house be so big yet feel so empty? It was once full of life and laughter but soon became dull and dark, it was a change I had to watch from the outside looking in and I recognized it in my own body. I became someone that I promised myself I would never be; quiet, shy, unapproachable. I swore I would make everyone happy even if I were having a bad day, but I can't even make myself happy at all.

I shook my head in disappointment at the change of mood the mansion had and started walking to school silently. Yeah we had a mansion and we were rich, but Marideth never let me buy a car. Jake and Jessica had one though, but if you couldn't already tell, she had her favorites. Now it just feels like I continuously disappoint those around me so I chose to stay away from people that were close to me before, and eventually they stopped talking to me. Now they're just people I see walking down the hallway every once in awhile but that's just about it, and I'm glad that they chose to do that.