𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚅𝙸 | "𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝙰𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝙸𝚝."

Start from the beginning

She did it so well that one would not guess that she was almost on the verge of tears. Tommy sits down next to her.

-"I'm going to get some sleep." He says quietly.

"You should too."

The young lady nods and turns her body away from his. He does the same and the two drift off to a very much needed nap.

( • • • )

Tommy jolts awake. Evelyn does the same and others shush them. There are steps outside. He moves up to the door. In panic, Evelyn grabs his pant leg and tugs on it. She shakes her head vigorously, fear etched in her face. Tommy puts his hand out and mouths "it'll be alright."

Evelyn lets go and watches him stand there next to it. She moves up closer to him.

-"Nee, nee!" A voice is heard from above.

The leader of the Highlanders face is written with confusion on it. Tommy signals for Evelyn to move back, which she does without questioning him. He then grabs the man from above, pulling him into the hold. A Highlander holds a gun to his throat.

-"Kraut?" Alex questions the man.

The seaman looks up uncomprehendingly.

"Are you German?!" Alex pushes.

-"Dutch! Dutch! Merchant navy! Here to pick you up. To help you."

The men looks amongst themselves. They then sit the seaman up. Evelyn hands him her handkerchief and the seaman thanks her profusely before wiping his forehead.

-"Why'd you leave your boat?" Evelyn asks calmly.

-"In case German come. We wait up the beach with the soldiers. Wait for the tide." The seaman explains.

-"You came back, the tide must be in." A Highlander concludes.

-"Coming yes. But more hours till we float." The seaman says sadly.

-"Hours?! Why'd you come back?!" An angry Alex practically yells.

Evelyn turns away from the seen in front of her. She covers her mouth with her hand and then places it on her chest. How were they ever going to leave now?

Before anyone can do anything, a gunshot penetrates the hull. Everyone lies flat on there stomachs. Evelyn's breathing quickens due to fear. She does the counting method a couple times to calm herself down.

This is not how she or anyone else on here was going to die.

Tommy stares at the bullet hole which lets in light. Everyone by now is in full safety mood, meaning no one dares to make a sound. All hold their breath, for fear not they might make more noise.

Another shot is fired creating a second hole about two feet from the leader of the Highlanders. All look among themselves and then stare at the two holes.

BANG!

A third shot, directly above the first makes another hole. Two Highlanders grabs their rifle's and head towards the stairs.