Epilogue

Ten years later

Ten years later...

It took a while for me to feel ok again. But then again, what really is 'ok'? We use the word so flippantly these days, and it disguises an array of emotions. I am still plagued with nightmares occasionally, highlighting memories as raw and fresh as they were ten years ago. They are something of a rare occurrence now though thankfully, as I learned to deal with them with the help of my family and therapist. The screams still haunt me, bloodcurdling and horrifying, which are swift to send me into panic attacks. Sometimes I will be absolutely fine, simply doing the mundane activities of everyday life, when one of my daughters will scream, taking me back ten years to the distressing ordeal, and locking me in my horror-stricken mind momentarily.

It can only get better as time goes on.

Abi-Mae went on to become an international spokesperson, detailing how to deal with trauma and memories that haunt you, as well as accepting yourself – scars and all. She has written a series of self-help books which quickly became bestsellers, and a novel about what happened to us. It took me a while to gather the courage to read it, and I had to do it in little bits everyday, but I got through it and was deeply impressed with how she portrayed our journey. She is actually a very talented writer. Her relationship with her family drastically improved when she was returned to them, and they never let her believe she was unloved again. A few years ago she got married to an English actor she met at a rewards show, and now lives happily with him and their sweet daughter Nova on the other side of the world. I receive an occasional text from her when she isn't too busy being a best selling author, perfect wife and expert mother (in her opinion), and we try to see each other at least once a year.

Paisley's hand had to be operated on, and unfortunately she lost some feeling in it, but she is a well-known artist living in New York now, famous for her illustrations in a variety of children's books. Paisley took the longest in getting back on her feet. She was deeply scarred by the accident, and hasn't flown to this day. Known as the resident cat lady, she doesn't like to go out and socialise, suffering from anxiety. I still keep in contact with her and visit when I can, but she quite likes her life of solitude, drawing being the love of her life.

Chip is mostly blind in one of his eyes because the basal fracture he had damaged the nerves beyond repair. He became quite cold when he received the news, hating to look in the mirror and seeing the dark scar trailing through his eyebrow, when he met Jessalyn, (who is now his wife) who helped him to accept what happened and love himself regardless. She is currently pregnant and due any day.

Liam came out the worst of all of us, near dead and had to have his leg amputated, killing his chances of playing professional football. He didn't let that stop him though, and took up running with his prosthetic leg, which calmed the raging storm of anger within, discovering he was talented at it. He trained hard, earning a spot in the summer Paralympics, and won a silver medal for the 100m sprint. It was an incredible moment for him, and we were all incredibly proud of his achievement. He is actually getting married next month to a lovely girl named Viola, which I am excited to attend.

Matias has been fearlessly travelling all over the world doing charity work for the past few years, helping those in need and especially those affected by natural disasters. He met a beautiful Filipino girl named Pia whilst helping to build schools in Kenya, and they have since eloped. James received a call from them just last week, sending through pictures of them from the top of Mount Everest.

Speaking of James, he did very well for himself. He became a respected professor at a university, and set up a charity dedicated to helping survivors like ourselves from all sorts of disasters. His ribs healed perfectly, although the cut on his head did scar, but I think it looks very manly and mysterious. I had to have an operation on my collarbone to set it back into place, and at first I was ashamed of my scar, but James helped me to realise that our scars are what make us beautiful. Of course, the most important thing he did was ask me to become his wife, which I accepted without delay. I have been Mrs Juniper White for five years now, and in that time we have had two beautiful daughters – Leila Kimberly (three) and Alesha Elian (eleven months). Their middle names are of course in honour of two incredible people who fell asleep in death much too soon.

All seven of us survivors were deeply affected by the incident, struggling with feelings of guilt and depression, but that was something we were simply going to have to carry our whole lives. Every year on the anniversary of their deaths as many of us as possible visit their graves. They may be gone, but never forgotten. The trashed aircraft was found two weeks after we were returned to society, which I was pleased about because the dead could have a proper resting place. Investigations went on for months as to whose fault it was, and in the end I stopped listening as it was too painful. I needed to move on which was impossible if I kept reading every available story about the bickering airlines, courts and insurance people.

The whole experience did teach me a valuable lesson though. Nothing is eternal in this life. Today is the only day you can be certain of, so make the most of it. Go out, do something valuable with your time, reconnect with old friends, let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Life isn't about waiting for the time to come; it is all about making the most of things in the time that is given to you. And that is what I try to do everyday, making the most of the valuable minutes I have with my children and wonderful husband, because no one can foretell the problems and downfalls of tomorrow. Throughout everything I have endured, I learnt all you really need is a good support network around you and happiness.

And the secret of being happy is accepting where you are in life, and making the most out of everyday.

It's over! Thank you to anyone who has read this, more stories coming soon! xoxo

Edited